eands10 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I just found my dog chewing on staples... not a stapler.. actual staples. Should I be concerned?

He is a 7 pound Yorkie, there are no cuts in his mouth, and I dont think he swallowed any. But what if he did? Would that kill him? Also, would chewing on staples kill him (lead poisoning)?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    'Chewing' on them shouldn't hurt him other than cutting his mouth and gums and possible infections from the wounds.

    Swallowing them is a totally different story. They can tear up his throat, intestines and stomach and bowel. If you think he's swallowed some of them, either take him to the vet for x-rays, which is what I'd do, or watch him real close to see he acts like he's in distress or starts acting weird. Laying around all the time, doesn't respond to you or others, gums or tongue start turning white. Bloody stools or no stools. Vomiting. Harsh breath sounds. If any of these things happen get him to the vet quickly and don't wait for an appointment, just take him in.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    If he did ingest staples they will most likely pass through his digestive system without harming him, but watch for any signs of blood or mucus in his stool as these may be signs that a staple had lodged somewhere inside the dog. You can also take your dog to the vet and have them xray him, if you're concerned about the staples.

    Most staples these days are made of steel not lead, so lead poisoning should not be an issue.

    If your dog eats a lot of things like metal, glass, plastic or rubber have him checked for a nutritional deficit (like "pica").

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    When my Lab tried to eat a wooded hamster house I called my vet because I was worried that a splinter of wood could puncture something internally. My vet told me to give him bread it would help pad down the stomach area and help with the disposal of the splinters. He also told me to watch his stool to make sure there was no blood in it. If anything I would keep an eye on him.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    ud probablee be capable to peirce the flesh of the higher lip, however the lips too thick to sinch it weth the backside of the stappler, in no way brain have it peirce via each lips!! then ud have a pair holdin ur higher lip an a squished an hurted mouth haha ? could gat an uncongenial bloodless sore if the stapler wus dirti, but it surely will have to heal inside an afternoon ? lips have plenty of blood in them, the ones locations heal rapid.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    please watch it. we have an aussie (big dog) and he likes the taste of metal. He chews on staples and hair pins and other stuff (used to) and one night he started choking and we had to take some time to get it out of his throat. Please x ray him because he could have harmlessly swallowed one and it could puncture his intestines or stomache lining. Because he is so small the next time he could puncture his gums.....remember, dogs are not supposed to eat metal....

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    YES.

    It would be best to have him checked out by a vet . Just in case. Have an ultrasound or radiographs done to make sure.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    If he did swallow any, they could get caught in his intestines. Take him to the Vet, they may want to X Ray him.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    yea u should see a vet and give him an x-ray.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.