eaj asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

remodel existing ceiling to vaulted ceiling?

1930 cottage 7'4" ceiling now. Open attic and we are gutting.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A 7 ft. 4 in. ceiling is already low. Since you are gutting, why not have a set of pre-engineered trusses made, plan it so you have clear weather for a few days, replace half in a day, and the rest the following day. Demo will be the most work, of course. Tear off the shingles, both sides about halfway across, tear up the decking, remove the rafters or trusses that you uncover, then set your new trusses, re-deck and dry-in. Hard work, but far from impossible. Just make sure you use the proper ties/ fasteners to install the new trusses. I think you'll get the best job this way, and be a lot happier with the way it'll turn out. Use nail guns, and you'll be a lot less worn out at the end of it all, as well as getting done a lot quicker.

Source(s): I'm a roofing contractor, and also a framer.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

This all depends on your existing rafters. You really need a structural engineer to solve this problem. Do not proceed until you have an answer.

P.S. To the idiot who suggests drywall screws, you are the guy we are all worried about. Go back to 7-11.

• 1 decade ago

You will have to redo your rafters and trusses and in turn, you may have to redo your whole roof. Install scissor brace rafters with spread apart at 16" on center on the roof. When you start to plank your ceiling joists try to use screws, especially drywall screws because they grip better. An image of scissor brace is at http://www.outdoorarchitecture.net/images/scissor%...

Good luck.

Source(s): Job Experience
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

intense ceilings that instruct the pitch of the roof, amazing that make the room sense open and massive. 900 squarefeet is solid length for a small kinfolk with one little one or a roommate. i'd truthfully seek for wash/dry hook united statesor wash/ dry secure or you would be making lot of laundry mat journeys.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.