kay asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

I keep gaining weight no matter how hard i try to lose.?

I take 300 mcg of thyroid med, I exercise using channel 864 twice daily. I lose maybe thirty pounds then gain it back plus. I am 43 years old. And really need to lose but nothing helps. Doctor talking about maybe having surgery to help any ideas if it will help and be worth it? My blood pressure stays high sometime way high. I keep mygrains because of it too. I have COPD too and I need to get the weight off for health reason. I walk and do exercise, but my weight is over 300 pounds and I am a short woman at 5'2" TALL any idea

• Favorite Answer

You have a tough road ahead of you. If you have a thyroid problem you can't eat badly at ALL. I knew of women on Jenny Craig that would lose a pound over 3 weeks and that was considered progress. You need to talk to a nutritionist and set up a diet or talk to a representative of a weight loss industry (such as Jenny Craig) what your options are. I wish the best of luck to you.

Source(s): My mother has a thyroid problem.
  • ?

Although the thyroid problem is not to be taken lightly...there are so many factors in your weight gain and inability to lose it...that you really need the help of a DR. AND a nutritionist who will work together to help you lose it....GRADUALLY. My mother was hypthyroid for YEARS and untreated because it "didn't show up" on the tests!

But there is no magic cure. Even people who have gastric bypass can blow it all and even risk their lives, if they don't alter their lifestyles. Your migraines might be the key to solving this...in some way (food allergies, etc) , as well as your COPD. IF you have that, then exercise (the most usual thing prescribed) is, as you know, so difficult as to be almost impossible.

People say "OH, just exercise!" like it's a magic, easy thing you just don't get. WRONG! Anyone w/asthma or any difficulty breathing KNOWs that as soon as you start exercising, it kicks in and you're back on the couch, or lying in front of the A/C, gasping!

You need to find a Dr. and a nutritionist who understand this...AND a support system who will not treat your condition lightly.

That being said, I know a 53 y.o. woman, w/asthma, who had gastric bypass and after losing only 60 lbs, her asthma was gone! She has now lost over 100 lbs. and is running to catch taxiss, riding her horse and dating again.

I wouldn't recommend surgery 'til you've exhausted all other avenues, but many times it works! My friend's recommendation: FIND THE BEST SURGEON YOU CAN...because the risks are quite real. When I questioned my own Dr. about it, he told me of 4-5 patients of his whose stomach (pouches) have ruptured! So you really need to be committed!

Good luck and I hope to hear from you down the road that you're okay!

You have a serious problem and believe me I sympathize with you ,,,,, It is very serious and potentially life threatening ,,,,,Most obesity today is due to a chemical imbalance ,,,, of some sort ,,,, that has developed in the body with time and aging ,,,,,, You said you are in your 40's ,,,,, It's usually about that time in life that people with potential weight problems in their family history start to develop the problem of weight to what ever degree in themselves,,,,, It could be due to a chemical imbalance of some kind or probably even a genetic problem but I'm not sure about that ,,,,,,,You also mentioned an couple of other health problems and they could be a symptom of your obesity also ,,,,,but there are options though that you can consider so there is hope ,,,, Anything from Lypoe (SP) Suction to intestinal bypass ,,,,, Lypoe Suction is only a temporary treatment though and not a solution to the problem ,,,,It will remove fat from the body but does not solve the problem of how the fat got there in the first place and It's a traumatic ,,, brutal ,,, and very invasive proceedure ,,,,, In most cases of chronic obesity where dieting and other procedurs have had little or no effect ,,,,, the intestinal by pass is your best option in my opinion ,,,, This should not be gone into lightly though ,,,,, It does involve invasive surgery ,,,, All other avenues of treatments should be explored first and the bypass your last option ,,,,,, I do know that the bypass does work though ,,,, I know of one person that went from well over 350 lbs to a normal weight for a person of his height ,,,,,, And even that wasn't easy but it did definently show results ,,,,, Another person I know went down to normal weight from something like 400 lbs ,,, and another to normal from around 300,,, The intestinal by pass is not a permanent procedure though ,,,,, Or it wasn't for him ,,,,, After like about 3 and a half or 4 years ,,, he had to go back into surgery and have his intestines rejoined ,,,,, After that he did gain a little weight ,,,, something like 6 or 8 pounds that was it ,,,,,, But keep in mind that any weight loss procedure is not easy but I'm sure you know that alreaady ,,,,, You have your good days and your bad days ,,,,,But your success in this matter will reflect your determination and reslove ,,,,,, I truely hope that you can find a workable solution to this problem ,,,,, Yoda told you this ,,,,, take care ,,,,,,

i recommend this to all persons with weight because it works.

First of all eliminate some of the sugar and salt from your diet. Add more fruits and vegetables and drink plenty water. take frequent walks as a means of excercise and trying using the symmetry natural weight loss product. the simply slim controls your appetite and gives you energy. the thermo balance burns fat. the carb lesssupports a low carb diet by reducing the breakdown and thus the absorption of carbohydrates by inhibiting digestive enzymes involved in carbohydrate digestion. The night lite burns fat while u are sleeping. lipo sorb reduce the absorption of fat. the premium plus is a meal replacement shake. try it they will work. 90 days max. u will see good results or get your money back from them. you can order online at www.symmetrydirect.com/vvstewart and u can also get more information there.

300mcg isn't much, you may be hypothyroid. Also, Synthroid is T4. T3 is the chemical that it converts too. In some people as they get older they do not convert as readily and their metabolism runs slow. Ask your doc to do a full thyroid panel instead of just T4 and TSH.

Exercise in the morning to speed up weight loss

• ?

2 hour walk at a moderate pace

opt for self checkout wait in line for 7 minutes ring yourself up for another 10 bag your own grub and load up the car

try a plain greek yogurt with frozen berries for a pre workout boost

play beach volleyball for 13 minutes