sxycow asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

how do i deal with a 14 year old that can not stay out of trouble?

Favorite Answer

Don't enable the kid. Let the kid know that if he gets in trouble, he is paying the consequences- up to and including jail. Don't let your kid use drugs in the house. Discipline your kid now so we don't have to later.

Source(s): I am a law enforcement officer in an east coast state.
  • DA R

Take away her ability to get into trouble. Circumvent her freedom by taking away all her liberty. If you do not do it NOW and make it as hard on her as possible, then you will have a 30 year old trouble maker or a dead daughter. You want neither.

Ur the parent put ur foot down don't let him rule you. Take things he like away from him some times. Try threatening him. Tell him you'll call the police on him when your not and he will spend the night in jail,so he could get scared. Scared him up some. MAybe he'll change, i hope this works for you....

14 is a horrible age!! I feel for you.Sometimes counseling helps sometimes you have to live through the teen years.In either case find support for YOURSELF!! You are the one wearing yourself out worrying about your child. Most of the time they are just having a ball. Try to be consistent in your attitude and administering the consequences for their actions.

He needs an older male role model -- guys that age always do.

If you can't find somebody in your family or circle of friends or even a teacher to take him under his wing, try Big Brothers.

I'm sure you're doing your best -- raising kids isn't easy.

It all depends on the kind of trouble they get into. I would consult a child pyschologist regarding it, if whatever it is seems that unlikely to resolve itself well.

the front part of teenagers is not fully developed... this wont happen till they are about 25 years old.... unfortunately this is the decision making part of the brain so all you can do is offer up as much help as possible.

stricter rules and discipline if the rules are broken make sure you have a set of punishments in line so they know what to expect, if it is really bad a crisis center may be in order, or something along those lines that will frighten them

first learn the meaning of life.lol, no, really though, if your are unsure of your parenting skills, i find it helpful to go back to my youthful memories and compare things that related to me and try to incorporate those traits of my respected elders( the ones i looked up to for guidance), because they were the ones who affected my life the most and also whom i tried to emulate

It's called "tough love" and you can google it or search it on yahoo and find many articles and advice for that type of thing. Good luck!