Cooking Lobster?

Does it hurt a Lobster to cook them?

I was told that they dont have the sensory nerves to feel the pain

Favorite Answer

PLEASE DO NOT allow left-wing extremists to color your view on this issue. Do your research, see the scientific evidence, and make an informed decision for yourself.

The issue of whether or not lobsters are capable of experiencing pain remains unsolved. A Norwegian study released in February 2005 suggested that lobsters were unable to feel pain, while a Scottish study released in the same year concluded that lobsters probably can feel pain.

The most common way of killing a lobster is by placing it in boiling water. This method is controversial because some people believe the lobster should be de-sensitized beforehand by placing it in a freezer for some time. The Norwegian study states that the lobster may be de-sensitized by placing it in a salt-solution 15 minutes before killing it. The quickest way to kill a lobster may be to insert a knife into its head and cleave the head in two, thereby destroying two of the most important nerve clusters of the lobster. Some feel that this is more humane than placing the live lobster into boiling water. Freezing the lobster for 15 minutes to 2 hours before boiling may de-sensitize the lobster, although no proof of this exists.

• Jim

Yes, it hurts them a lot.

Pain is a sensory response to something harmful. Pain has evolved over hundreds of millions of years of animal evolution, and it works very well to get animals to move away from something harmful.

Lobsters feel the heat and then the pain, and they try very hard to get away from it.

So, yes, you can tell just by observing their response that it hurts them a lot.

Here are some websites with more information:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22lobste...

I am so afraid that they might feel the pain, but I love eating them so I make my husband put them into the boiling pot for me. Then after 7 minutes I don't feel so bad taking them out to enjoy eating.

Unless you cook them in Alcohol

Yes, it hurts them. I don't care since I'm going to eat them.

Of course it does... but they still taste nice.

no