Does walking build muscle mass?

I've been walking a lot lately and eating healthy. When I weighed myself last week, it said that I had gained some weight. Could it be muscle mass from walking on a daily basis?

Favorite Answer

Any activity that uses a muscle is likely to build that muscle up, if repeated often enough. I remember moving to a city that had a lot of hills and walking everywhere, and I felt and noticed the effects in my muscles--of course they were my leg muscles and the muscles in my buttocks. One of the problems with weighing yourself when you're trying to lose weight is that there are all sorts of other things that come into play that might affect your weight when you measure it on any given day--for example your fluid intake. The best way to see if you're making some progress is to take a moving average of your weight. Record it each day and then take an average of the last 5 days or so. This gets rid of the "noise" and lets you see trends more clearly. If you keep up your level of physical activity to where you're burning more energy that you're taking in, eventually it will show up as weight loss on your moving average.

Source(s): There's a book online that explains this concept called "The Hacker's Diet." It's written by the guy who wrote AutoCAD, a drawing tool for making blueprints and visualizing what they look like when completed--and who got rich after having done so. The web page is http://www.fourmilab.to/hackdiet/www/hackdietf.htm... It also available as a .pdf file. He looks at weight loss from the viewpoint of an engineer and he explains why a moving average is the way to go. The principles he talked about worked for him, although for anyone else, the old disclaimer, "your mileage may vary" applies.

1

Source(s): Build Mega Muscle Faster - http://BuildMuscle.oruty.com/?Pwgi
  • Erin

Build Ripped Muscle Fast

Yes, but I saw on a diet show that it happens very rarely. You would have had to exercise A LOT to have that happen. Watch what you eat even if you're eating healthy. Eating a lot of fruit can turn to sugar, grains will make you gain weight. It may even be the result of drinking lots of water. Hope everything goes well!! =)

Yes

A hassle-free total physique recurring finished 2-3x a week. save on with the great workouts - squat, deadlift, bench press, chin/pullups (or lat pulldowns). upload some BB curls in case you like. Do one gentle warmup set and one heavy set of each. Ab artwork and lightweight cardio on off days. try that for the 1st 3-6 months. artwork complicated and don't omit workouts. effects would be good.

• ~~

Yes, its muscle. If you walk alot, youll definately build. I noticed that in my legs when I was walking the treadmill. I was gaining and my legs were looking more muscular.

YES. It will build up the muscle and it will keep toned and in good shape

Not to any significant degree. Maybe you should check how many Big Macs you had before you weighed yourself!

yes- dont judge by the scale! Decide by how much you like what you see in the mirror!