what stops acid reflux?

my 5 month old preemie has been diagnosed with acid reflux. he was on zantac, but he spit that up. now he is on axid and he is spitting it up too. his pediatrician won't send him to a gi doctor. i thicken his milk until it is like oatmeal and he doesn't spit up as much ,but i don't want to get him constipated. i have tried soy, enfamil gentlelease, and a.r., but he throws that up too. as soon as he finishes a bottle he gets gassy and fussy and the acid from the vomit is making his mouth and lips raw.

Favorite Answer

Acid reflux in Children

Studies* show that GERD is common and may be overlooked in infants and children. It can cause repeated vomiting, coughing, and other respiratory problems. Children's immature digestive systems are usually to blame, and most infants grow out of GERD by the time they are 1 year old. Still, you should talk to your child's doctor if the problem occurs regularly and causes discomfort. Your doctor may recommend simple strategies for avoiding reflux, like burping the infant several times during feeding or keeping the infant in an upright position for 30 minutes after feeding. If your child is older, the doctor may recommend avoiding

sodas that contain caffeine

chocolate and peppermint

spicy foods like pizza

acidic foods like oranges and tomatoes

fried and fatty foods

Avoiding food 2 to 3 hours before bed may also help. The doctor may recommend that the child sleep with head raised. If these changes do not work, the doctor may prescribe medicine for your child. In rare cases, a child may need surgery.

*Jung AD. Gastroesophageal reflux in infants and children. American Family Physician. 2001;64(11):1853-1860.

On a personal Note: I would want to know your babies pH? You would want to be a 7.0. A very acidic pH can cause all kinds of health issues.

Contact me, if you'd like a couple test strips.

Hug that baby for me!

1

Source(s): Eliminate Heartburn In Weeks - http://HeartburnNoMore.duebq.com/?aCr

Treatment of Acid Reflux

If your pediatrician will not refer you to a pediatric gastroenteroligist you can use the link below to find one in your area. Your state university school of medicine is another great resource, as is any local university with a top notch medical school. These may be good options since your child was born prematurely, and there may be additional concerns for his treatment; there is a high level of expertise in these type of teaching hospitals. If your insurance requires a referral, and your pediatrician refuses, you should seek a second opinion from another pediatrician. If you feel your pediatrician is not serving the best interests of your child, a second opinion is in order. No physician should have a problem with a client seeking another opinion. Additionally, for your own piece of mind, you may want to consider paying for a consult with a peds gi physician out of your own pocket. That takes the doctor and insurance company out of the picture. If finances are an issue, contact a university school of medicine or your local hospital and explain your concern and issues. They have programs to assist people in these situations. No one wants to see an infant not receive proper treatment. Remember that you are in charge of your son's health, and your pediatrician works for you. Doctors often forget that.

I don't have kids, but I have acid reflux and I know it can cause damage after a while. If you do not like what your peditrician says, please get a second opinion. The poor little guy must be feeling so miserable.

PLEASE do not try those other suggestions until you see a doctor. They must not have seen that your baby is only 5 months old.

Bakingsoda : 1 Table spoon for every 8 o.z. glass of water. but only serve him like 10ml

Find a Homeopathic doctor - and don't tell you MD. My child had other problems that the Homeopath helped but my MD could not. But my doctor thought MD stood for Medical Deity.

it is an expensive formula. about 28 a can.

enfamil nutrigimen (misspelled that) But my two granddaughters were on it. You can also get help in paying for it.

email me at pensacolatwin60@yahoo

coca cola, ginger ale,

or any soda

it neutralizes the acids in his stomach before it works its

way up.

IM SURE YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS BUT KEEP HIM UPRIGHT WHILE YOU ARE FEEDING HIM DON'T LAY HOM DOWN AFTER FEEDING EITHER, TRY TO KEEP HIM UPRIGHT