Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do you prefer to speak in English/foreign language?

Favorite Answer

Dear BrokenDaisy,

I enjoy speaking in every language I know because I love all of them. But they each have their own cultural context and their own emotional tone.

For example, I often feel deeply uncomfortable talking about very personal things in French - it just sounds very trite and out of place, whereas in English it sounds perfectly natural.

Interestingly, I tend to swear at traffic conditions in Spanish, and I find Cantonese is the best language to express disbelief.

I prefer English because it's my native language, so it's the easiest for me. The only second language that I am fluent enough in to have an extended conversation is Spanish. I find it pretty comfortable to speak in Spanish although after a full day I feel tired. If I have a choice to speak only in Spanish or switch between Spanish and English I would rather speak only Spanish.

• Manera

At home I speak Capeverdean Criole and English, I also speak Portuguese, and Spanish. I love knowing different languages it comes helpful sometimes!!

English is my second language so I am a foreigner.

Well, English IS a foreign language to me, since I'm from Argentina.

I feel English easier to talk about too personal things. I feel more detached, than with Spanish, my native language. But if I need to be very precise about something, I'd rather use Spanish, because I master it better.

both because english is the only language i no and foreign because i love to learn new things.

I'd prefer to be able to speak as many languages as I can. I'd not prefer any language over any other language as long as it's not my mother tongue. I'll always be subjective in that case :)

I think every language is valuable in its own way.

My mother tongue is Gujarati, which I can hardly speak.

I grew up speaking Hindi, but I prefer English the most. Also know a bit of Arabic :-P

• NY gal

I prefer English because is my mother tongue. But I can speak Hebrew and Arabic as well.

Ja volim pričat najviše na bosanskom, jeli to je moj prvi i najdraži jezik. =)

Obviously my mother tongue, I only speak English when the other person I am talking to does not know anything of the other languages I know, its a last resort kind of thing.

Doviđenja

i personally like to speak both english and spanish. i don't know why but many people when they see me assume that i don't know how to speak english until i start talking to them. do i look too mexican or what?