is there any other stone other than a diamond with the ability to mar/cut glass?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

,rubies, sapphires, glass has a mohs hardness of about 5.5 there are many stones harder.quartz is a 7. Zoisite,Kyanite,Epidote,Jadeite,Ovaline group, Garnet group,Chalcedony,Tourmaline group,Beryl,Spinel,Topaz,Chrysoberyl,Corundum,apatite,hiddenite,Zircon,peridot,Aquamarine,Tanzanite,Benitoite,Morganite,Amethyst, and Flourite. I am sure there are more that i can't remember. Diamonds are the most over priced of the gem stones. The market is closely controled by a few Families. The De beers are the main ones i think. Rubies and Saphires are much more rare. And in my opinion more beautiful. A large blue Yogo sapphire with a couple of diamonds flanking it would make a solitare seem plain. and you could damage a diamond by using it to scratch glass, or losen the setting.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

A diamond has a hardness of 10 on a scale of 10 known as Mohs Hardness Scale. A diamond can

scratch any other mineral and only a diamond can scratch a diamond.

An old myth/legend to test for a diamond was to see if the mineral would scratch glass and

if it did, it was a diamond. Actually there are many other minerals that will scratch glass

including quartz (very common), corundum (gem forms are called sapphire and ruby), garnet,

topaz, and others.

• 1 decade ago

Oh Dave,

Just buy her the real diamond

• 1 decade ago

Quartz will scratch glass.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.