why does my 3 1/2 yr old?

all of a sudden want to be carried EVERYWHERE?? this just recently started. i dont give in, i walk away and make her follow-crying.

Update:

she is 3 1/2-kind of old for this right?? she's an only child.

Update 2:

okay....this only happens going from apt to car and back to apt or around the apt. if we are out, she's in a stroller or shopping cart.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

shes just attention seeking my 1yr old daughter alisha does it just dont give in

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Well even though we would think a 3.5 year old is emotionally and physically ready to act like a grown up all the time.... they really are not. I would still offer an umbrella strollar if she can sit in one comfortably when your out for long walks. She should fit well in a cart at the store still. Sometime we as parents loose insight as to what our children should be able to do long before they are actually able to do it. Listen to your daughter she is telling you she is tired and could still use the extra assistance.

Since its between the house and the car and stuff like that... I would offer to hold her hand. If she crys and wants to be carried I would just firmly tell her she can walk with you, but you are not going to carry her back and forth. Remind her that mommy wants to hold her hand but she is a big girl and she can do it. If you are pulling her out of the car and she is tired or was sleeping I would carry her. This could cause her balance to be off and cause her to fall and get hurt.

Source(s): Mom to 3 girls ages 2,5,7
  • 1 decade ago

She's going thru some attachment issues with you. It will probably pass soon. Try giving her a job like pushing the stroller or carrying a bag - she'll feel like she's pleasing you & doing "good" and it will take her mind off of being carried. Reward and praise her for walking & carrying the bag or pushing the stroller. Minimize the issue of wanting to be carried (go ahead & carry her so she doesn't cry & equate the situation with negativity) and emphasize the issue of walking (with which she will equate positivity).

• 1 decade ago

If she is always in a stroller or shopping cart, then she is not used to walking those distances. You have to be firm with her and get rid of the stroller- that way she'll have no choice but to walk.

If she isn't being lazy, does she have a medical problem that causes her to feel tired, like anaemia?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Remember that almost everything is normal, and almost everything is a phase, too. If she's been doing this for three months, then it's time to just ignore it; but if she's been doing this for three days, then let her feel she's special enough to be carried - but only if you have the arm-space to carry her comfortably.

Sometimes 'giving in' is not giving in, it's listening to a child's needs and giving them what they want. It is not always a bad thing. Sometimes it's important to 'give in', as you call it.

We've all learnt that if we give a child what they want, they'll become spoiled. I think that's not always true. Sometimes kids have legitimate needs that we ignore in case we spoil them. I suggest we let kids have their idiosyncracies and allow them to have strange wants and demands at times. It means something to her; if you can, be accommodating.

• 1 decade ago

Since the child is just 3.5 yrs, its ok.. However, since u say that her urge to be carried around started only recently, some caution is needed.. First, one practical thing to do is to make sure she hasn't injured her leg due to which she may find walkin painful.. Secondly, it may be what u call a behavioural phase which she'll outgrow with time.. Its best to meet ur family doc to reassure..

• 1 decade ago

3 1/2 is a hard age because she isn't a baby any more, but not a big kid either. This is normal behavior. You don't have to give in everytime, but rememeber your toddler just wants love and reassurance. Raising kids is the toughest job ever. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

So put her in a stroller going from apartment to car and from car to apartment.

• 1 decade ago

keep doing that but look at the time see if its nap time, or if its been a long walk, or just in general get the child out more so they will excerise

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

don't ignore her, carry her, its a phase she is going through of feeling insecure, u need to reassure her

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.