Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

Imagine you and your family have moved to a new city. How might your family find a new primary care physician?

List the various groups/ organizations that can be of assistance in your choice.

Favorite Answer

First check with your insurance to see where you may be limited to going. Second ask the local hospital for a referral. Review the physicians credentials. Any hospital will be happy to give you a booklet with all that info. Thirdly write down your expectations for a POP. For example, if my Mom wants a physician who will order estrogen for her and many will not, the best is to make an appointment to meet with the physician and ask him what his feelings are about that. If he says he will not order that med, then move along. Remember, the old days of dictatorship are gone. Many people are well versed on what meds make them feel better and what the long term and short term side effects are. If they choose a higher quality of life and are willing to take alittle risk then so be it. Many hospitals actually have public relations forums to meet with new physicians also. Pick one that is easy to meet, is willing to compromise if the reasoning is logical, is willing to refer to specialty physicians, and is willing to write prescriptions for cheaper drugs or generics. Doctors that cut you off, and don't listen are not going to meet your needs.

Ask people living around you. My family moved across the country a few years ago and we asked neighbors and then also looked to see what practices were near us. Once we had references we sent one person from the family into the doctor and when they went we asked a bunch of questions. Just see if the doctor shares your ideas on prescription drugs, testing, etc. For me another big factor is I prefer a female doctor so when we looked we got that too!

Hospitals do referals if you need a doctor but honestly for general care just see what is close and who people use. THe organizations don't know the doctors they just have a list

Call your local hospital. Most of them have a physician referral service that help you get a list of doctors based on your need. Once you get that list call some of the doctors and ask questions of each. Then base your sellection on who you think will be the best for you and your family. The doctors should be willing to answer your questions. Good luck.

I would contact my insurance carrier, to see who was a participant in my insurance, then pick a few who were nearby my home, then ask people at my job for recommendations. I would also ask people at work whether they've heard of any of the doc I'd picked close to my home, and work from there. I wouldn't bother consulting any professional organizations. A co worker or friend will give me a more believable reference anyway.

The larger hospital's in the area will have "Find A Doctor" programs. You may have to do some research, but it is one way.

• keetan

i do no longer understand why the daddy left his very own daughter. i think of that the final way replace into to do what they have been doing communicate on the telephone/online and notice one yet another each and every at the same time as. a minimum of that's extra useful than being hopeless to no longer see one yet another lower back.