Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

how can i tell if my cat has neurological problems?

Ive had my tic tic since she was maybe 3wks old. She was abandon by her mom so i did my best in taking care of her. She's about 4 years old now. But since she was young ive always noticed something was off about her, she's always been very shakie. If she would be laying down and were to here something, most cats pop ther heard up and point there ears up, she does all that but her head starts to rattle. also when she runs around her back legs seem to go out on her every once in a while at least once a day she'll stumble. When she jumps up on the furniture, she over shots it and falls off. Almost every night her and my other cat play with each other and they'll run around, but she always falls into walls or just plan runs into them, but she never seems to be hurt. Besides those problems she's seems to be a happy hearlth cat. could she have some kind of neurological problems. my mom thinks so, but she tells me cats like that dont last long. Can these be curried.

• Favorite Answer

I am not expert but it does seem like she might have a slight balance problem. You could discuss it with your vet but from what you are saying she sounds like a pretty happy and healthy kitty. The is no cure to such a problem like blindness your cat just learns to live and cope with it and they can have a very happy and full life. Mentioning it to your vet might help figure things out in the future. Some do have complications in older years but from the description you gave it seems like her balance has been the biggest part affected. But then again I have had some very clumsy cats and over shooting a jump... pretty typical especially when you see the look of the "i totally intended to do that" on their face! And slamming into walls into play time and chasing each other... same like a kids over excited who looses the notion of time and space and trips himself silly!

Your only true symptom of neurological might be the head rattle. Others can be explained as typical clumsy cat behavior also. Just to make sure have your vet check the cat out but if she has had the head rattle for 4 years and it's not a new symptom ... neurological does seem the best fit.

Hope this helped and remember there is a goat specie that when overly excited it faints. Yet there is absolutely nothing wrong with the goats it's just a trait of that particular goat.

It certainly sounds like she does and I am happy to hear she is having a great life with you. Cats can be treated for neurological problems and that is mostly done if the cat has "seizures" and some dose of phenobarbital is given.

From your description there may have been some brain damage early in her life from a blow to her head or an infection causing a high fever. So it is fortunate that she is alive and doing well. There wouldn't be anything that a vet could do for her.

From your description, it does sound like she has neurological problems, or maybe even "just" an inner ear infection. (The balance problem). I agree with others that only a vet could really diagnose the problem.

However, if she's lived for several years with whatever the problem is, I wouldn't be TOO concerned about a shortened life span.

Sounds like you've put a lot of effort into this little girl, and regardless of the problem, she's a lucky kitty to be alive.

:-)

Congratualations!

the best thing to do is ask the vet the next time you are there...if she is 4 she lasted this long so i wouldnt worry too much if she seems to be otherwise healthy so just bring it up the next time you are at the vet or make and appointment

• Turtle

I think this is a question only a veterinarian can answer. I would take her in for a check up and voice your concerns to him or her and see what they think or recommend. Hope all goes well. Sounds like you love her a lot.

Have you ever discussed this with a veterinarian? Do you get your cat annual shots

and check-ups. You should! Ask the vet!

Have you ever thought about having his eyes checked? Considering he bumps into walls and overshoots when he jumps it might be worth considering. Good Luck!!!