Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

What type of paint finsih do you like? Matte, semi, satin?

I like satin and semi. I can't understand why someone would want to use a flat finish. I thinkit looks dull, and shows dirt so much more and is ahrder to clean. I know if the wall isn't perfect you shouldn't use a semigloss but I think flat is horrible

Favorite Answer

I've been a professional Interior Designer for about 10 years. I like flat for ceilings only (because it is difficult to get gypsum board on ceilings perfect, and flat is the most forgiving of finishes.) I typically use satin on walls, and semi-gloss on trim and casings.

Depends on what I am painting. We use flat colors at work when we want to show off the shlves on a unit. Making the suports flat colored makes the Semi painted shelves show up better in a photo.

By the way, my group at work builds proto-types of store fixures. We are called Sample Makers.

Satin and semi are much easier to keep clean but the main draw to flat paint is it's usually cheaper per gallon than the satin or semi. so apartment managers and land lords prefer it.

• Sabina

Satin on the walls and semi on the trim. I don't like flat either although some people do.

Semi gloss is best for kitchens and baths because of ease of cleaning. Satin looks nicer in living and dining rooms.

I use flat paint and I love it. You can now buy washable flat paint and it works really well. I think shinny walls look terrible and even with satin it's to shinny.

Source(s): Husband is a painter for 10+ yrs.

If you have kids that drawn on the walls, then use flat finish.

Eggshell finish is defininetly the most practical if you have kids, pets, ect.. It's not real shiny and it's so easy to clean.

I prefer a matt finish to a glossy one. Shiny walls look nasty

I like egg shell finish.