How to stop a co-worker from cutting you off when speaking?

Favorite Answer

Stop speaking when they start, and once they've said their piece, look at them for a couple of seconds and calmly say, "I wasn't finished speaking" then continue exactly where you got cut off, without addressing or mentioning anything they said. Do this each time and eventually you'll have them trained.

Well, I'm not sure what would work for you. It is very aggravating to be cut off when talking. You can just stop what you are saying and maybe the silence will let the co-worker know you were cut off, but usually people who cut in aren't very sensitive to it. You could put up a hand when the co-worker buts in and continue with what you were saying and when you put your hand down is his/her signal to take their turn. Whatever you do, I hope it works.

Try a humorous approach, say: "excuse me for talking while you were interupting" Your co-worker will be the butt of the joke and just might cause them to think twice before piping up in the future. It's worked for me in the past.

Well you can stop talking a lot of with rude talking. I only cut off people when they are being annoying and/or rude.

Try to have a balance talking between both of you :)

I say you bring a bunch of duc-tape and put it one their mouthes and rip it off. That would be really funny to me, but it would also make them shut up unless they have temper problems. Otherwise, just put a hand over their mouth and tell them politely while looking them in the eye that you were not finished speaking.

The next time he or she cuts you off while you are speaking just shove a pencil or pen in their eye. I am sure they will never do it again.

Let them talk and when they finish say. Ok now what i was saying..... If that doesn't work email them or text message them. No one can interupt u when your thoughts r in an email or a memo

• SallyC

Stop talking to them.

Or talkreallyfastsotheycantunderstandwhatyousay!

tell them off! lol ..later

Source(s): Mimi Knows Best! :-)
  • kick them in the balls