What was the best infantry weapon of world war II?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1

The M1 Garand

"The greatest battle implement ever devised."

-- General George S. Patton, Jr.

I would rather have had one of these, that the m16 bb-gun they gave me when I served. It was supperior to the m16 in every way.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most likely the M1 Garand rifle, which was the most common.

The Germans had a Schmeisser machine pistol which was very effective at short range. The Thompson submachine gun was also effective, as was the Browning automatic rifle (BAR), the water-cooled 30 cal machine gun and the 50 cal. Hand grenades were also quite effective. Since the various weapons were used for different purposes, it is impossible to say that any one of them was the best.

• Nat
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The StG44.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgewehr_44

Back in the Second World War, your average line squad had a mix of bolt-action rifles for engaging targets at a distance, and subguns for firepower up close. The StG44 bridged that gap and enabled a single soldat to engage targets at a distance, improved his lethality in MOUT, and enabled him to lay down suppressive fire in the absence of a GPMG.

The AK series was directly influenced by the StG 44. It was the first weapon of its class and the grandsire to every assault rifle design since.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

M1 Garand

MP43

Panzerfaust (tank fist)

Thompson Sub Machine Gun

But the recognized best by almost everyone is the MG42 (machine gun) called "Hitler's Buzz Saw", reputed to be the world's best machine gun, had an awesome rate of fire of 1200-1500 rpm, fired 7.92 x 57mm rounds. Supposedly our M60 was copied after it!

Source(s): Reading
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The best infantry weapon of the world war II was a variant of the tommy le gun( of the world war I vintage) i don't remember the name of the variant. it was good because it was reliable, and it did not back fire. Moreover, it was built in many calibres. The guns mounted on the tanks were also one of the variants of this guns only. Check the gun models of HOWITZERS because they also built some of the variants. These were the best weapons for infantry.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is debatable, but I think the flame thrower was the most feared. Of course, it you were in a fox-hole and a German tanks was coming at you, I'm sure you would want a bazooka. The M1 was the most plentiful. The BAR was a very useful weapon also.

• 1 decade ago

The M1 rifle.

• 1 decade ago

WW2 infantry weapon.

there are many but if this includes the

nuclear bomb as infiltrating japan and bombing them to end the war

then i pick that mang.

• Pop D
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The "Ultimate Weapon", the American GI himself.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

thompson

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.