Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Hello folks! Any ideas about a very very good novel to read?

I love inspiring books and great writers. I have read quite a lot. And i am still looking for more.

I have read "Where The Red Fern Grows"

Sherlock Holmes: The Dying Detective

The Left Behind series (the 12 novels)

The Cay

The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

And a lot of many more...

What other interesting and inspiring novels will you suggest. And please give some details about the book.

Please i dont want any harry potter or lord of the rings books. I want some really really great novel.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I love Fahrenheit 451, it's such a classic. If you haven't heard of it, it's Ray Bradbury's futuristic and chilling tale of censorship and is such a reality check. Hope I could help!

• Puff

To Kill a Mockingbird

Christy

The Locket and it's sequel The Carousel

The Blue Bottle Club

Girl of the Limberlost

Dreaming Water

Women of the Silk

The Grapes of Wrath

Of Mice and Men

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Treasure Island

Joshua

Joshua the the Children

Joshua and the City

Joshua adn the Holy Land

No Promises in the Wind

The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax

To start off with A Penny to Cross the Mersey, then read Liverpool Miss, Liverpool Lady. I think but I am not quite sure if it was Josephine Cox who wrote them, there are about 4 or 5 books in sequence and you can find them in any library. Enjoy, Highly recomended........

Raymond Chandler, Walter Mosley, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman.

If you're interested in checking out any Indian writers, Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth are two of my favourites.

gone with the wind is a really really good book and if you have read that you may not know that there is a sequel to it called Scarlett by Alexandra Rilpley. That book is just as good but it was written by a different writer

p.s. it's not just a love story if that's want your thinking right now

My favourite is middlemarch. Lots of different plots to keep you interested. Despite being a victorian novel it has some funny bits too. If you like mysteries the Moonstone is a very good mystery story.

• kermit

Hey Mr!

The Time Travelers Wife. Very good.

I think the author got the idea from slaughterhouse 5 because of the character who gets mixed up in time and describes it as a disease. but thats my theory. Anyway- It's really good!

Book I've also liked recently:

The Secret Life of Bees

Cry, the Beloved Country

The Historian (about dracula!:)- tis the season! )

The Map of Bones by James Rollins

Based on the bones of The Magi's

Give Steinbeck a read...Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath are two of my favorites. They are classics and both deal with the difficulties of relationship and hardships...adversity and overcoming it! If you like to read details about different places in the world, James Michener is fantastic!

• lolita

Water For Elephants with the aid of Sara Gruen Diva's do no longer Knit with the aid of Gil McNeil omit Chopsticks with the aid of Xinran The Eyre affair with the aid of Jasper Fforde lost in a sturdy e book with the aid of Jasper Fforde Me and Mr Darcy with the aid of Alexandra Potter Mr Darcy’s Diary with the aid of Amanda Grange Alan Titchmarsh and his romance novels Mr McGreggor The final Lighthouse Keeper organic instincts in basic terms Dad Rosie Love and Dr Devon Folly Fred the Mermaid sequence with the aid of MaryJanice Davidson drowsing with the Fishes Swimming and not utilising a internet Fish Out of Water babies of adult men with the aid of PD James extensive Sargassa Sea with the aid of Jean Rhys