Krysti asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I need advice on how to potty train my puppy terrier. What is the best way?

My terrier is 7 months old.

I've had him 2 months, he keeps going on the carpet.

Potty pads? Litter? Whats the best way to go? He doesnt like to go outside.

Favorite Answer

first off never ever shove his face in it. If your puppy doesn't like going outside try litter training him. Also crate train him. This way he won't be going in the house when you aren't there. Potty pads wouldn't hurt either. Lay them down in his favorite spots to go. It'll take time but he'll eventually get used to it. Also praise him when he does go where you want him to go.

• leas

You could have disorders condo coaching this dog due to the fact he's from a dog mill. That's in which puppy retail outlets get their puppies from. Puppy mill puppies have grown up with the dam peeing/pooping within the small cages they are saved in due to the fact the don't have any choice, they in no way get taken out of the cage. At two months historical the domestic dog is a youngster and like every infants has no manipulate over bowels/bladder. You cannot anticipate him to be condo informed till he is no less than sixteen weeks historical and simplest then if you are very vigilant and take him out each hour at the hour. Stay with him in case he obliges so you'll compliment him. As for crate coaching. Put the crate correct beside your mattress at night time with a worn unwashed article of your apparel in there with him. Tell him SSHH while he cries so he is aware of you are there and shall be comforted through your presence. He'll relax in a few nights. He will have to no longer be saved in a crate all day, simplest whilst you cannot watch him. He demands to be competent to run and play like every different puppies. Feed him all his foods within the crate and depart the door open. That approach he will gain knowledge of to comprehend the crate as his possess den. Be sufferer, he is only a youngster. It will all occur in its possess well time.

Hi, the way I trained my dog was to use newspaper, if he went on the carpet, I would put paper on the spot especially if it was a fav spot. It took a while, but eventually he started to go on the paper, then I started to move the paper towrds the back door where he had a litter tray, eventually putting the paper under the tray, as he couldn't use the paper becuse it was under the tray he used the litter tray, it took a while as I say, but it worked. Just try to be patient, rewards helped aswell when he got it right, making a big fuss of him when he gets it right is good too.

set an egg timer and take out ever 14-20 min. As soon as they wake up from nap take out. They have small bladder so will go a lot. Praise a lot and give a very small treat for a reward for going outside. Good time to teach to go on command. Make sure you praise when he goes outside and not inside.

Source(s): Dog trainer for 40 yrsc

well i have had worst i had a pitt bull. so i recomend useing the Sunday paper when he uses it on the carpet. It is not only teaching him disaplen but teaching him that is not the bathroom. Try it tell me if it works if it doesnt try the pads i did and it worked ok (as long as I put it in his fav. spot to use the bathroom)

Source(s): Former exsperiances

take him out side 1 to 2 hours. keep him out there till he goes. I know it cold but that's is how i potty train my Little dog and they are hard to train. they don't like to go outside because it is cold. after i know she is potty train and she dose it because she is bad, i rob it in her face and but her in the cage because they hate the smell of the poop. but you have to watch because sometimes I'm gone all day and forget to put her in the cage, she goes because they cant hold it all day. so watch. that will mass up the training.

Well i would suggest tacking your dog out to do his business and not inside but its up to you..

Maybe you should try litter train him like a cat and see if that works but i would suggest maybe training him to go outside to do his business..

when it poops on the carpet do like i did shove his face in it then whoop him