Going to Med School, how am I going to balance family life?

I am still a couple of years away from med school. I am determined to get my MD and be a Radiologist. I have wanted this for so long. I have no doubt that it will be hard, but I am up for the challege. My concern is my family. I know that most med students are single w/no kids, but what about if you are married, 30 yrs old and have two kids. Time with them is very important (ball games, ect...) but I know I would love to provide them with the opportunities I have never had. I have waited to go to school full time for them to be out of diapers, and now they are 5 and 6. Every one keeps saying that I will sacrifice all my time to med school and will not have time at all for my kids and hubby. along with the financial aspect, can I do this? Please give honest advice and or any tips or experiences.

Favorite Answer

You can do it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise...you will have to work harder than the rest, sleep less than your classmates and sacrifice more...but if you want it, you can do it! I hope your spouse is supportive and you need to be willing to be less than perfect. I just got my Masters, and started working again, my priorities after work are my son and husband...so you can tell Martha Stewart doesn't live here...but some things really aren't that important, when my son starts school full time I plan on getting my PhD... you will set a great example for your children...just remember to put them first, even if that means getting up at the butt crack to study! Good Luck!

Family is very important, but your dream is important as well.

if u really like to get your MD and become what u ve always wanted, then u should go for it and prepare to all what could happen. love and ambition are two amazing factors that will make u successful . U will have to compensate between education and family, it s not going to be easy but if u re a strong , willing person u ll achieve what u aim for . just think about it: is nt it worth to fight for?