Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

How do I zip files on my computer?

My professor wants us to zip our files to send to him. How do I do this?

Favorite Answer

If you are using Windows XP Professional select all of the files that you want to zip then right click and select "Send To"->"Compressed (zipped) Folder". A .zip file will be created in the current directory. I suppose this should work with all Win XPs. If you don't have Win XP or if the above is not working you will have to get a compressing software. 7-Zip is a free one http://www.7-zip.org/.

Depends on what operating system you have. As of XP, Windows has zip capability built-in. But for better control it's best to have a separate archiving utility. WinZip is the most popular, but I highly recommend WinRar as a far, FAR better solution.

Basically, WinRar adds itself (optionally, your choice) as an item on the pop-up menu in My Computer and Windows Explorer. So you can right-click on a folder, and pick "Add to Archive". You can even...

1) Have the archive automatically have the same name as the folder.

2) Have the archive automatically sent to an email address you specify, using your default email program

3) Have the archive auto-deleted after it gets sent (since you still have the original files, and might be making modifications, why waste hard drive space keeping the archive around. Besides, you've now got a saved copy in your email program's Sent Messages folder.

Right click your screen and point to new. You should get an option for a zipped file.

To extract in simple terms one document out of it. Open the Zip by using double clicking on it, Hightlight the only document by using clicking as quickly as on it and on the desirable, selcet extract, it ought to be that that one document is in simple terms an icon document. there is yet another danger. each and every so often products could be zipped into 2 diverse Zip archives and it demands the 2d Zip for the full merchandise to be extracted in spite of if it ought to have instructed you this if that became the case. good success

using winzip. here is a tutorial

http://www.winzip.com/aboutzip.htm