Julia asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Balzac quote in French - translation?

I'm looking for the original French version of the following quote from French novelist Honoré de Balzac: 'Equality may perhaps be a right, but no power on earth can ever turn it into a fact.'

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

The exact french quotation (as Balzac wrote it):

"L'égalité peut être un droit, mais aucune puissance humaine ne saurait la convertir en fait.

Source(s): I'm french (the translations above are not great)

No, the 1st answer is a literal translation and does no longer make any experience. I certainly have not have been given any concept what the certainly translation is, yet i could possibility a wager at: "Un véritable ami entre lorsque tous les autres quittent."

L'égalité peut peut-être être un juste, mais aucune puissance sur terre ne peut jamais la transformer en fait.

Thank you, Babelfish.

L'egalite peut-etre etre un juste mais aucune puissance sur terre ne peut jamais la transformer en fait.

(acute accents over the e's of egalite and "chapeaux" over the e's of etre!)

• wizzie

Boule de gomme's answer is the good one.

I don't understand why people still use automatic translation that gives so poor results...

Source(s): French