What's attacking my CDs!?

Over the years I've noticed something eating away at the reflective layer of various cd-r's and cd-rw's. It happens usually from the edges but also from spots sometimes. I've sometimes checked cd's I haven't looked at in years and found a sticky brownish fluid betwwen them, especially at the edges. I at first assumed I'd spilled something but it's clear that's not it. So, 2 things: dissolvong reflective layer, and stickiness. Sometimes the 2 coincide sometimes not. Relationship: unknown. Also, the sticky stuff is sometimes found on regular stamped cd's but not the chipping silver.

P.S. It is NOT my drive. This has happened for several years and multiple drives. I can't see any way the drive could cause it anyway.

Favorite Answer

I can offer some guidance with regard to production cd's, but not the cd-r, or cd-rw.

Some early production discs, suffered from Compact Disc “bronzing”. This is substantial deterioration of the disc, often to the point of affecting play. In some cases, the disc becomes totally unplayable......

A Bronze discolouration forms on the outer edge of the disc, later radiating towards the centre. In time, the outer edge then starts to go dark brown. Some discs may not change colour so obviously, and some remain clear....but these become unplayable more quickly – ticking and scratching like old 78s!!

This manufacturing problem was resolved in the early 90s, but affected various plants. Such discs should be returned to the source company, for a replacement, after communicating with them first.

CD's are not stored in proper case or the room temperature is affecting it.Or the CD's are poor quality CD,Some times rusting occurred,but before storing it keep em clean.Always keep them clean with the CD cleaner instruments.Use only damped clean cloth to clean em.

Do you smoke? Have the CDs been exposed to sunlight? Does your CD drive need cleaning?

CDs don't last forever they may only last a couple of years.

It could be your cd drive

refletcing layer of cd-r and dvd-r is organic material.

bacterias are eating it.

Probably the plant where they were made was not 100% sterile.

you need a new cd drive

all parts for a pc & computers here

http://www.tigerdirect.com/