Where exactly is the shining hotel, the one the movie was based on?

Is it in Colorado and if so,where in Colorado?

Is it really close to the Rocky Mountains?

Favorite Answer

The Overlook Hotel is based on the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado (Rocky Mountains). I've been there twice. It's a really nice, old fashioned hotel (that one room number from the movie does not exist, hehe). It was kinda disturbing actually. The first time I visited, there was nothing there but the hotel. Very quite and pristine. I liked it alot. I went back about a decade later and the entire area had been developed. Although still a nice place, it really lost something in the way of ambience.

http://www.stanleyhotel.com/

HI I'm a Colorado native. The hotel in question is the

Stanley Hotel located in Estes Park Colorado.

The exteriors of the Overlook Hotel (in the movie) were filmed at Timberline Lodge. This lodge is on the slope of Mt. Hood near Portland, Oregon. The outside view of the lodge would show Mt. Hood rising behind.

The Stanley Hotel is known for its "inspirational" (no filming) role in Stephen King's novel "The Shining".

Here's exactly where it is (Colorado, 1hr from Denver).

http://www.stanleyhotel.com/overview_location.htm

Yes it is. It's the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. I saw this last season on Ghost Hunters on the Sci-Fi chanel. Stephen King stayed there with his wife, that's how he was inspired to write the book.

They are showing a repeat this Wensday before the season premeire at 8pm EST. Or you might want to visit their web site at www.thealanticparanormalsociety.com. It's a very cool show!

(They are know as TAPS for short).

Source(s): T.V. show Ghost Hunters Sci-fi channel Very awesome!

It's in Estes Park, Colorado. I belive that it's called The Stanley.

It is in Colorado, in Estes Park.

I am assuming it is somewhere in Maine. Most of the books Stephen King has written are set in Maine and so are the movies based on those books.

The outdoor scenes, with all the snow were shot at The Timberline Lodge..Mt Hood Oregon. I dont know where the indoor scenes were shot

• dale

in fantasy land,U2?