Do you think it's worth it?

We've sold our co-op and are looking for a house to move into on Long Island. My husband works and I'm a stay at home mom of a 16 month old boy, so we're only working with one salary. We saw a house that we love. It's an old tudor that needs major updating. It's listed for low 400's but we would offer much less than that. My question is, do you think we should purchase this older homes or should we go with something more modern that really doesn't need much updating? I'm so torn because this is a gorgeous house in a fantastic area..we just need to update it.

If anyone has any input on tudor style houses that would be helpful too.

Favorite Answer

May be you want to look at the market first. Is there are bubble??

http://www.breakingbubble.com/index.htm

It really depends. Can you live in the house without the updates? This way you can take your time doing the updates. Can you afford to pay for updates after you take out a mortgage? Maybe you can have a contracter come in and give you an estimate on the work it will need so you have an idea of where you will be.

I'd go for the tudor instead of a newer house as long as you want to the updating. Hire a good home inspector before purchasing the house.