What is life like as a cop?

Favorite Answer

It really depends on what kind of person you are. Life as a cop can be very rewarding and gratifying and the more you put into it the more you get out of it; but on the same note it can be very stressful for the family members of a cop. Most cops choose their career because they want to change things for the better, make a community safe, enjoy the adrenaline, want to work with people, and don't want to do the same thing over and over day in and day out.

You choose this career and you are a police officer 24-7 and it is very hard to hide from the fact you are a cop even when you are not working. Your friends and habits change because you choose this career. You trust your life with the people you work with every day and they become your family, your closest friends, your brothers and sisters; it is a bond that can not be explained.

As for the family of police officers they have to put up with the cop dad or mother working strange hours, weekends, holidays, and being on call almost constantly. Most cops become intimate with parts of society that people who are not cops don't even know exist. Cops get spit at, fought with, deal with child molestors, drug dealers, abusers, thieves, and spend their time at work being a referee at family disputes.

Maintaining a collective cool mentality while walking through dog turds and stepping on cockroaches while being bitten by fleas to do a report where someone strikes someone else and actually being concerned for the well being of that person... interviewing small children who have been abused (sexually, mentally, physically) at the local hospital; finding someone who gave up on life by putting a bullet through their head and having to step through the brain matter and pieces of skull bones and wondering why it came to this point before getting out a report pad and writing; responding to a domestic incident and being greeted with a sword or baseball bat; having to wrestle with somebody who is tweaked out on meth or coke; then at the end of your shift you get to go home and push all that stuff to a place where that type of stuff is kept and you get to be the dad or mother and do the regular things in life not speaking of the day you had. If asked most cops will reply, "regular day babe, what are we doing for dinner."

Most families and friends who are not cops, you tell them stories from work and to them it is just stories, like something that is being read from a novel. Tell another cop and they understand and give you feedback, they know...

So to tell you what life is like as a cop.... it's hard to say because every cop deals with his/her situation in a different way and divides his/her personal life and professional life in a different way, as for me I love my career choice and I find I am most happy when I work hard but give my family the time and attention they deserve...

All I can say is that I am glad that I am NOT a cop. People disrespecting authority all the time. Cops have no power and get the short end of the stick every time. Give me the good old days before the Miranda rights came along and the cops were allowed to rough anyone up anytime they pleased.

I'm a Border Patrol, and life as a cop can be tough and interesting. There's more to it than looking cool with the badge and the gun, most of a cop's job revolves around paperwork. Of course, it's a very dirty job. But, I like to put the bad people where they belong, and I like what I do.

• leas

Well, I think that there might be whole chaos and anarchy, however after a even as, it might ordinarily simply be survival of the fittest. A lot of fundamental humans, surely adding our president-opt for, might be lifeless. I feel that the majority police officers are well, however a few of them best acquired into the police drive considering they revel in abusing vigor. I are living close Detroit, so correct now, I'm very grateful that the police officers are right here to settle matters down! ALSO, up to I like seeing the "Yahoo Answers has selected your reply as Best Answer" in my Inbox, might you please now not play favorites and simply select the reply that is great, whether or not it is mine or any person else's? I'd consider plenty bigger approximately it! :)

hey cops put up with alot of spit Sh88it,

new lapd ofc makes 60K+,

its not like a cop to me ya kno.

All is determined by the level of adrenalin in their blood that day, and the craving for action.

I agree with what okchico said. That pretty much sums it up. you get the good with the bad.

It can be fun and than it can be the wost time of your life