lalala asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Do I have a purpose of being here?

Does anyone one else wonder if they were put on earth for a reason. Because I feel like if I die tomorrow, nothing will have changed, I serve no purpose whatsoever. It's very perplexing.

Favorite Answer

Actually it isn't very perplexing when you know the author of life. Read his manual, the Bible. In particular, read Romans chapter 5 and Romans chapter 8. You do have a purpose, perhaps you are not looking in the right place.

Source(s): God's word.

80% of humanity, the religious folks, don't need to ask the meaning of life, the church tells them....the supernatural explanation. But the rest of us can't swallow religious dogma, because there's no evidence. Nobody can prove that there life after death, that people are tortured or rewarded after life or that there's invisible spirits running around.

I've come to two conclusions recently:

1. Life has no meaning

2. Life has a million meanings.

First, there's a certainty that death and annihilation awaits not only you, but the Earth in general. It's an astonomical certainty that our sun will supernova and leave the earth a burnt crisp, not to mention all the other extinction level events around the corner.

Second, the million things that give us meaning are the pleasurable experiences we can conjure up during the short period we are here on the earth, in the form of the relationships we have with our kids and other people, and the 'housekeeping' types of purposes. What i mean by that are the curing disease, ending hunger, improving literacy, reducing crime, preventing war, helping other kinds of things.

Source(s): So the bottom line is, we only have a temporary meaning to life, to reduce pain and increase pleasure, other than that everything is lost to oblivion.
  • Faust

I truly believe that we all have a purpose for simply being here, our own destinies.

I have been trying to figure out my destiny for about a year, but I realized that the more I thought of it, the more stress I put on my mind trying to figure it out, then I learned that the bigger the mystery the more important the destiny. After understanding this, I realized part of my purpose, it's something I have always done, but I never got to understand it; I bring faith and joy to people, I bring them comfort and optimism where there are none, I try to bring life to those who need it the most, and I try to help them as much as I can. The world I grew up in and the world I still live in has no one to give comfort and to take the pain inside the soul, the world has few good friends or people that listen to you when you need to talk, so I took up this responsibility to help others.

if you were to die tomorrow then everything would change as opposed to your dying a week from now. all of life is synergistic.

and the extinction of one life effects all others. you can not imagine the exponential effect that the lose lose of one life has on all others. for one thing if you died tomorrow and i knew about it i would be very very sad and perhaps cry. and i don't even know you. so sad that i may not have sex with my wife that night and the son that was to grow up and be the president was never born. the decisions he would have made would have prevented world war 3. but another was elected in his absence. and the war began and life ended. you get the idea. you never know how many you effect or influence. never underestimate yourself. try to effect as many as possible with your ideas. it doesn't matter if your right or wrong. it will all come out in the shake.

I asked myself that question the other day... But yes!!! we do have a purpose here on earth. Is like the butterfly effect the phenomenon whereby a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere, e.g., a butterfly flapping its wings in Rio de Janeiro might change the weather in Chicago. So one people touches another and that one to another one and so on. If you or I wouldn't be here problably somebodyelse wouldn't existed we were born to make manifest the glory of God within us....

Life is the engine which can change the energy of your spirit. Your purpose is to find your way through a complex maze of illusion and reach the truth. You're on your way. If you fulfill that purpose in life, you will be given another.

• Adso

Look to Romans 8:20,21 (NIV) "For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21that[i] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God." (We are frustrated, because he made it such that - I can't get no, satisfaction (Stones).

Why though?

Acts 17:27 "so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us." (NKJV)

In what way?

John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Purpose is what you make it. Find your strenghts, skills, and what makes you feel good about yourself and proud of yourself after having done it. The satisfaction you will gain is its own reward. There is no "higher purpose" and does not have to be.

I kept my parents' marriage together and they're happy again. If I die tomorrow, I can at least die knowing that. I know exactly what you mean though.

• jekin

some people don't do anything significant until they are quite old.

you can always be a bad example.