How many days does milk last after the expiration date posted on the side?

Because I know that milk does expire that exact date. But there's some limit to how much longer it'll last long, and it has to be close to that date.

Because I know that milk doesn't expire that exact date. But there's some limit to how much longer it'll last long, and it has to be close to that date.

Okay... I KNOW that milk doesnt expire on the exact date... I am asking how long an OPENED carton of skim milk will last after the date.

• arkie
    Favorite Answer

i spent several years managing restaurants and the rule is this:

7 days after opening or 7 days past the pull date on the container -- whichever comes first.

i have never had milk go bad using this provided it was kept in the fridg.

• cegla

Milk Expiration Date

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): days milk expiration date posted side: https://tr.im/ys1GN

You're not exactly looking at an expiration date in the sense that the milk is going to die on that day- it's more like a last day to sell by date. As a general rule, unopened items are safe for up to 7 days after the date printed on the package. If it's opened, though- you are on your own time and it's anybody's guess. The best you can do is a cautious sip- sour milk won't hurt you but it does taste bad. And of course, if it looks curdled, it is bad.

Milk is supposed to be sold by that date, not consumed. If unopened the milk will be good for several more days, if opened less days; but it varies on how cold your frig is, etc. also.

When smelling an open carton of milk, sometimes you get a bit of sour smell, and that often is only a bit on the sides of the side of carton, but the milk is perfectly OK. Pour a bit into a glass to test smell and taste.

Never judge real freshness by those dates, always be cautious when first opening any fresh dated product and trust your own judgement.

Two weeks plus if stored in the interior of the refrigerator. I had a gallon of Lucerne milk from Safeway last 31 days after the pull date and it was still good when I finished it.

i agree with 7 days after the date on container - key issue is temp of milk fm time leaves the store - sometimes if room in freezer will put the jug in their for 1-2 hrs or cold but not freezing and then store in the coldest part of fridge in most cases very back not get the temp variances opening and closing n I as a rule while wrapping leftovers ect wrap them and line them up on the counter and then place all in fridge quickly to further reduce drop in temp

I have heard that you can add a teaspoon of baking soda to the milk and that will extend the taste of the milk if it is past the date on the carton(from getting sour)

• It depends on the milk. If you buy the cheap generic stuff it will last a while because the producers put preservatives in it. That stuff will last a good 2 weeks past the expiration date. You can also buy organic or natural milks that are free of all that stuff. However, that stuff is more expensive and wont last more than a few days past the date on it.

• That is a good question. I guess it depends on if it's opened or not... an opened container is going to spoil much quicker before a closed one. If it's not opened (and still refridgerated), maybe a week or 10 days? I'm not sure, actually... if it's puffy, it may be spoiled. If it smells bad or is lumpy, it's bad. Or just do what what my brother does--make your sister (aka me) taste it.