MiMi asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Cream Cheese Frosting - HELP?

I am making cream cheese frosting for a red velvet cake. It is too thin in consistency. How can I thicken it up?

Favorite Answer

Because most cream cheese icings consist of cream cheese, powdered sugar, water and vanilla...I would add small amounts of both cream cheese and powdered sugar to thicken it up. Once at the desired consistency, I would add a dash of vanilla to make sure the flavor is just right.

If you add only powdered sugar or only cream cheese, you'll throw off the overall flavor and mess up your cake. Trying a mixture of both main ingredients will be your best bet. Good luck!

1-pound box of Confectioners Sugar 1 large package of Cream Cheese (Softened) ½ cup of margarine (Softened) 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring Blend together the softened cream cheese and the softened margarine and the 1-teaspoon of vanilla flavoring. Sift and stir in the box of confectioners sugar a little at a time to avoid lumps. Continue mixing the ingredients until the frosting is smooth and creamy. If your frosting feels to thick you can add a tablespoon of milk. Really Quick! 1/2 cup butter 1 tsp. vanilla 8 oz. cream cheese softened 1 lb. sifted powdered sugar Smooth and creamy frosting made from scratch, with love. Beat together butter, cream cheese and vanilla with electric mixer until smooth. Continue mixing and gradually add powdered sugar. If too thick, thin frosting with milk a tsp. at a time to desired consistency. Also this chocolate one is really good. 1/4 cup butter, softened 8 ounces cream cheese, softened 3 ounces (3 squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted dash of salt 3 cups confectioners' sugar 1/3 cup half-and-half 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add melted chocolate, salt, sifted confectioners' sugar, half-and-half, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and spreadable.

I am not sure but I would just add more cream cheese til I got the desired consistency.

This is the one that I use for my Red Velvet cake, and it comes out perfect ever time.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

4T BUTTER

1 1/2 CUPS CONFECTIONERS SUGAR

2 SMALL PK. (3OZ EACH) CREAM CHEESE

1. PUT BUTTER IN SMALL BOWL AND MICROWAVE UNCOVERED 50% FOR 45 SECONDS TO 1 MIN. TO SOFTEN IT SLIGHTLY.

2. PUT CONFECTION SUGAR IN THE BOWL OF FP AND PROCESS FOR 1 MIN. TO SIFT.

3. CUT EACH PIECE OF CREAM CHEESE IN HALF AND ADD TO CONFECTIONERS SUGAR. ADD SOFTENED BUTTER AND VANILLA EXTRACT. PROCESS UNTIL SMOOTH, ABOUT 30 SECONDS, STOPPING AS NECESSARY TO SCRAPE DOWN THE SIDE OF THE BOWL.

MAKES 11/3 CUPS

(FROSTING CAN BE REFRIGERATED FOR UP TO 3 DAYS. LET IT RETURN TO ROOM TEMP. BEFORE USING)

Put it in the refrigerator for a bit and then take out slowly stir. You can add confectioners sugar, but sometimes it just makes it too sweet.

Add more cream cheese. And don't forget some vanilla.

I would add little more powdered sugar until the consistency is right.

Slowly incoporate more powdered sugar until it reaches the consistency you want

Add more confectioner's sugar

More cream cheese will keep it thin.

• Laura

add more cream cheese then beat on low speed to beat to whip in air