Is the "L" in the word "Vulnerable" silent or not?

I've listened carefully when ever the word "Vulnerable" has been pronounced, but I'm still not sure if the "L" contained in the word is silent. At the risk of sounding stupid, anyone help on this question?

• Bont11
    Favorite Answer

Either? Depends where your from, whether you can give it regional accent or not. Similar words could be, ShrOwsbury or Sherewsbury, of course the latter is the correct spelling, but phonetically, it depends on the way you want to pronounce it. Bath or (posh way) BaRth, Pronunciation or pronunciation, again down to the individual translation, and so on....

• "where your from", "Sherewsbury", "Pronunciation or pronunciation".

This the best answer?

In the Eastern U.S., it is not silent.

In the Southwest, it is sometimes (incorrectly) silent.

In Georgia, people don't use "vulnerable" because they don't understand what the word means, and so it is hard to say if the "L" would be pronounced or not.

(Sorry, I'm all disillusioned about the pathetic state of public education in Georgia, today.)

Vulnerable Pronunciation

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot quot word quot vulnerable quot silent not: https://tr.im/k5YLK

No, neither of the 'L's' are silent (...as most folks have already implied).

The first 'L' only 'sounds' (?) silent when people who do not know how to say the word properly, pronounce it as if there is no 'L' in... so that it 'sounds' as if the word is 'vun-rabble'...

If you have heard such people mis-pronounce the word it is easy to see why you might be confused.

There are numerous words that are 'lazily' or just 'ignorantly' pronounced like this. (For instance people sometimes say 'pacific'/ 'pacifically' when they mean 'specific'/ 'specifically')

it's not silent in vulnerable but the word venerable kind of sounds like that and has no L.

Neither of the 'L's are silent if you say it properly. However, apparently it is fully possible to say it as "Vunnerble" (*shudder*) and then there is only one 'L', which isn't silent.

:-)

Source(s): Life

Silent.

It's not silent when I say the word. I think it is intended to be verbalized. Vul-ner-a-ble. Not "Vu-ner-a-ble."

That's just one of many many many words Americans mispronounce. What Americans do to the English language is an abomination!!!