bionic39 asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

When I go to buy Crest toothpaste, how come the ADA stamp is on some and not others???

• Favorite Answer

The ADA (American Dental Association) has to test the toothpaste to ensure it is truly beneficial for your teeth, and that it does what it says it will do. Either the ADA is still in the process of approving the toothpaste, or did not approve it. Although the toothpaste will probably at least serve the basic function of keeping your teeth clean, it's best to get a toothpaste that is approved by the ADA.

The ADA approval is a very long process and requires a lot of testing. Often it is not feasable for a company to wait for approval before marketing the product. The ADA seal should give you confidence that a product is effective. However, just because stomething does not have the ADA approval doesn't mean it is bad. It just has not gone through the rigorous testing.

I have noticed the same thing. I was told that some name brand products are made in Mexico, and therefore not approved by the ADA. Does not mean the formula is not the same, however. My dentist did say to only use toothpaste that does have the ADA logo on it. I don't know if there is any kickback there or not!

The ADA also put their stamp of approval on HARD toothbrushes which had done huge amounts of damage to the teeth and gums!

It matters not what is on the brush but what's on the handle.

They can only put in so much fluoride.

jmastersdds is right. The toothpaste market is so competetive, they just can't wait to get everything tested before getting to market. Vote him as the best, because he's right and he got here first.

I buy crest too. I think they redesigned the packaging.

i think its bcuz its ADA approved and tested