Must all drives in a SATA 3 drive RAID 5 array be indentical in size/mfr/pns??

For instance I have 2 80G Seagate drives and add a 120G Western Digital and then create a RAID 5 array. Will it work? If not, what issues will pop up? Thanks!

Please document your sources. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Speed has to match. The array won't work if the speed of the hard drives isn't the same. Another thing is the connecter. 2 sata hard drives won't work with one ide 133 hard drive. Even if all of your hard drives match in speed, the connectors you attach them to will slow them down proportionatly.

The size doesn't matter as much, but it is still important if you are going to be putting more than 80 gb onto the array. For instance, since you will have 2 80gb hard drives and 1 120gb hard drive, you have to keep your disk usage under 80gb.

Source(s): Many years of computers

I'm pretty sure the speed needs to match. As far as the size, it's not required. When the controller builds the array, it determines the size of each drive, does the striping based on the smallest one. So if you have one small drive, that's how big of use the rest are going to us. Left-over space will be empty.

I'm fairly sure the same goes for speed. The slowest drive will determine overall speed.

if u really want a raid u allready have the answers, but u know what raid means 4 ur data. u will have data on both of ur hdd. if u lost one u lost more that u will desire. speed is nt everything

extremely? understanding and the wetness of the lady (or females) who extremely keep in touch with my soul so as that she needs my sex body; the wholeness. triumphing? certain, what i extremely deserve, no better no longer a lot less; justice for my life funds? i need it to purchase the time that i prefer to seek for understanding, no longer for what maximum human beings opt for it. My artwork absorbes maximum of my time, so i take advantage of to maintain funds to stay the life that makes me satisfied in the time of quite a few months each and each 12 months. soreness? Now I dont choose better soreness to awaken. It became absolutely neccesary contained in the previous. Greetings

On the latest sata chipsets ......dont need to be identical.