Erik L asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

what does it mean to have a "dry sense of humor"?

People have tried to give me the meaning of this phrase...but I still don't get it. Give me a good example of it.

Favorite Answer

To have humor that is very subtle...easy to miss, or not understood by most.

• Well..its a bit difficult but I'll try.

Its when a person...has a difficult time finding humor in the most obvious of jokes. Especially ones that depict characters as being silly or dumb.

But...will laugh at small things like a play on words.

Bonus Joke:

A traveling sales man is down in Alabama and decides to stop in a local tavern for a quick cold one. When he walks in...no one is in the bar except for the bartender who is eyeing him suspiciously. The salesman sits down at the bar and orders a beer. The bartender brings him the beer and casually asks him..."So?? What do you do for a living??" The salesman says...."I'm a taxidermist". "Whats that??" asks the barkeep. "Well it means I mount dead animals" responds the salesman. The bartender turns towards the back room entrance and yells...."Come on out boys!! He's one of us!!"

Now even a person with a dry sense of humor should get a chuckle out of that one.

Good question. It is hard to explain, but when you get it you will understand.

My take. Someone with a dry sense of humor is someone who says things that are funny but you don't actually laugh.

at robotics one day, a light was flashing on a battery, indicating that the battery was low. a girl goes "why is it blinking?" and a guy replies "because it has dry eyes"

dry humor is sorta like a play on words mixed with sarcasm. it could b hilarious but at the same time really bad, depending on who says it.

You're a dry sense of humour

Sarcastic, or you come across very serious when you are trying to make a joke.

its just the opposite of fart jokes..... like smart/sarcastic humor... usually takes a min to get or you have to really pay attention to get it.

• It means that when you tell a joke you're the only one laughing.

It either means you're lame, you think violence is funny, or you're extremely perverse.

and its like you dont know if you should laughm or not.. they most times dont even if it is funny