i dont under stand surface area and volume..................?

i need help can you give so examples explaining step by step and anwsers? we are doing it in science and the teacher called on me and i couldnt anwser it. i need help. thanks!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Area is a physical quantity expressing the size of a part of a surface. The term can also be used in a non-mathematical context to be mean "vicinity".

Surface area is the summation of the areas of the exposed sides of an object.

Units

Units for measuring surface area include:

square metre = SI derived unit

are = 100 square metres

hectare = 10,000 square metres

square kilometre = 1,000,000 square metres

square megametre = 1012 square metres

Imperial units, as currently defined from the metre:

square foot (plural square feet) = 0.09290304 square metres

square yard = 9 square feet = 0.83612736 square metres

square perch = 30.25 square yards = 25.2928526 square metres

acre = 160 square perches or 43,560 square feet = 4046.8564224 square metres

square mile = 640 acres = 2.5899881103 square kilometres

Old European area units, still in used in some private matters (e.g. land sale advertisements)

square fathom (fahomia in some sources[citation needed]) = 3.34450944 square metres

cadastral moon(acre) = 1600? square fathoms = 5755 square metres [citation needed]

[edit]

Useful formulae

Common equations for area:

Shape Equation Variables

Rectangle l and w are the lengths of the rectangles sides (length and width).

Triangle b and h are the base and altitude (height), respectively.

Disk * r is the radius.

Ellipse a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axis.

Sphere , or r is the radius and d the diameter.

Trapezoid a and b are the parallel sides and h the distance (height) between the parallels.

Cylinder r and h are the radius and height, respectively.

Lateral surface area of a cylinder r and h are the radius and height, respectively.

Cone r and l are the radius and slant height, respectively.

Lateral surface area of a cone r and l are the radius and slant height, respectively.

Circular sector r and θ are the radius and angle (in radians), respectively.

* A disk is the area enclosed in a circle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

OK, surface area- take a sheet of copying paper, or printer paper, and lay it flat on the table- this is a plane.

Specifically its surface area is 8.5" by 11"- also known as A4 in European nations. To find this area in inchs, multiply the 8.5" by 11"= 93.5 square inches.

To put it simply- length multiplied by width= area

Now, take a box- like a kleenex box. Measure the height (2"ish or so) the length (8" or so) and the width (3.5" or so) Volume is what the box holds- so we multiply the length by width (8" X 3.5"=28) then multiply that by height (2"ish or so or 28 X 2"= 56" CUBIC inches) and the result is the volume in cubic sizes.

Length times width times height= total volume.

Remember however, they must all be in the same units- you can't multiply miles, by millimeters by lightyears- so have a common unit of measurement, then do the calculation

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

If I were you I would get a box turtle or a small tortoise. I am a big animal lover and wanted turtles, after working w/them I would prefer a land dwelling turtle/tortoise. Turtles are not really that much fun, they need big tanks w/lighting and heat, plus you can't really do anything w/them. They have long sharp claws and when yo hold them they scratch you. Although box turtles and tortoises are not cuddly at least you can take em out for a little walk (watch them of course though). You do need heating for them, but depending on the size the tank doesn't have to be as big as for a turtle. There really are no small water turtles and you will have to upgrade the tank when they grow. Any reptile is a commitment, but for I prefer land reptiles.

• Thermo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The surface of the garden can be made of grass.

The surface of the sea is made of water with waves.

The area of the garden shows how large the garden is.

The area of the garden is the number of square feet.

The volume of an object shows how many cubic inches that object needs in the space.

Th is teacher

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.