What does the doctor's symbol mean?

I mean the symbol with the two snakes aroind the stick with wings. What does it mean? or where does it come from?

This is the symbol:

http://www.a2zcharms.com/images/medical_symbol.jpg

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a caduceus...

It was an ancient astrological symbol of commerce and is associated with the Greek god Hermes, the messenger for the gods, conductor of the dead and protector of merchants and thieves. It was originally a herald's staff, sometimes with wings, with two white ribbons attached. The ribbons eventually evolved into snakes.

• 5 years ago

Source(s): Online Professional Medical Consultation - http://onlinephysician.neatprim.com/?XdXZ
  • 1 decade ago

A caduceus is a winged staff with two snakes wrapped around it. It was an ancient astrological symbol of commerce and is associated with the Greek god Hermes, the messenger for the gods, conductor of the dead and protector of merchants and thieves. It was originally a herald's staff, sometimes with wings, with two white ribbons attached. The ribbons eventually evolved into snakes.

• 1 decade ago

I just got through reading Peeps by Scott Westerfield, and in it, his main character, Cal, claims the symbol came about as a method of removal of the guinea worm from a human leg by slowly winding it onto a stick over seven days.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the origin is greek from a phyician and scientist named ascapelus i believe and the caduseus is from the mythology of greece the serpents and so on on the staff mean something look it up iin a encyclopedia

• 1 decade ago

This symbol is often mis-understood. However it has very deep and valuable definition. Do not ever let a doctor put his snake around your pole.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no one wants to use an unknown link for spam that can contain a virus

• 1 decade ago

i really dont know, but for advice, i would search it up, it shouldnt be hard.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.