Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Could a hair ball actually choke a cat to death?

it scares me when my cat has them

Favorite Answer

Technically they could if it was bad enough but that is very very rare. Don't worry.

While I have never heard of a cat choking to death on a hairball, I have heard of cats intestines becoming blocked completely by hairballs and needing to have emergency surgery to correct the problem and save the cat. Giving your cat one of the hairball remedies on the market such as Laxatone, is a good preventive measure.

Hairballs can kill a cat. There is a hairball gel kind of stuff that you can get your cat at Wal-mart, and they just eat it. They usually like the taste so it's not hard to do. There is also a food brand named Science Diet and they have a special kind for cats to prevent hair balls. You can pick some up at your vet.

Its very rare for a cat to die choking from a hairball. To minimize hairballs groom your cat regularly with a soft brush. it removes loose hairs and the cat likes the attention.

If a hairball is to large and they can not cough it up, it can choke. I used to manage a pet shop and had one cat that did choke on a hairball. There is something that you can give your cat so that they pass the hairball you may want to speak to your vet for the product they recommend.

• Erika

All cats have hair balls so which you would be unable to relly do lots approximately it different than for supply her a particular tipe of cat nutrition that cuts down slightly on the hair balls. you additionally can groom her on a daily basis because of the fact cats swallow hair whilst they groom them selves and that creates hair balls.

I suggest that if your cat has them often that you:

Brush as often as tolerated.

Feed them Hairball Formula as part of their diet - from any company - we use Science Diet.

Give them a hairball remedy so they will defecate it instead of throwing it up.

No ..,, i don't think cat will eat it .. just bite little to play

iam not sure but if its big iam sure it can they have cat food you can buy that will help with that good luck