Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

How do you get motor oil stains off concrete?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If the oil stain is fresh and thick scatter ordinary dry soil on it. The soil wil absorb a lot of the oil. Dry clay soils will work best. Garden lime, cement powder, talcum or any fine powder will also work. Leave it in place for several hours or days.

Muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid. Sulphuric and hydrochloric acids will damage the concrete surface especially if it has been steel trowelled for a polish. Further, oils tend not to disperse in acids but alkalis will lift them to a much greater extent and not damage the concrete badly.

Make a paste of laundry detergent or dishwasher detergent (which contain alkalis and detergents) with water and apply to the oil stain, cover with a bit of plastic film to keep the moisture in and leave it there as long as possible. If it's a big stain add some clay to the paste to stretch it out. A supermarket bag will do for the cover. Finally wash off with plenty of water. Repeat as required.

A pressure washer will also work to some extent, specially with a little detergent added to the water.

• 1 decade ago

Well it really depends on how long it has been there. If is ts fresh sprinkle enough cat litter on it to soak it up and then I would use some Dawn dish washing liquid. Let it sit there for awhile and then hose it off. Liquid laundry soap would probably work good too. I have never tried muriatic acid so I cant tell you about that. If it is an old stain it may not come out completely as it will have soaked down into the cement to far to get it out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Muratic acid. I'm not sure about the spelling of the word, but this stuff will clean it to look new again. One must be careful when using this stuff and it will burn you if you get it on you, so you must use extreme caution. Follow the directions, especially the safety precautions on the label. Good luck!!

• 1 decade ago

if you have a gas power washer this sometimes will get the oil off, the only problem with this is that is leaves a really clean white spot so you have to do the whole drive way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

sprinkle dry concrete over stains cover if outside, let sit for a day and sweep away, avoid using water...

• 1 decade ago

Joy and Muratic acid. Works great. Even better with a power washer.

• 1 decade ago

i know lemon/lime with baking soda and water takes corrosion off battery terminals. why not oil stains

• 1 decade ago

What about "Easy Off Bang", "Mr Muscle".

• 1 decade ago

you might try muratic acid or sulpheric acid then rince with baking soda/water solution

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They say kitty litter soaks it up.. and it doesn't hurt to scrub with it a little, either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.