★♫Pau♫★ asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

what's the difference between alaskan malamute and siberian husky?

Favorite Answer

Two *ENTIRELY* different BREEDS!!

GO to the AKC site & READ THE BREED STANDARDS!!! For complete *&* CORRECT info! Folks here don't know which end bites!

Only Siberian Huskies can have blue eyes. A purebred Alaskan Malamute will never have blue eyes.

Alaskan Malamutes are also bigger than Huskies. They tend to be calmer than the often hyper Husky.

(I have a Malamute, and she's a really great dog: calm, no leash, great with kids... love her!)

I have a husky and in my experience Siberians are smaller and Malamutes have bigger bodies and heads. Also, Malamutes can have some yellowish/brownish fur. Malamutes were originally used to pull sleds in the Iditarod, but then Siberians were discovered to be faster, but they couldn't pull as much weight because they were smaller.

To above answerers, there is a difference, and not all Siberian Huskies bite. All dogs can bite.

They were developed for different reasons, and their appearance reflects that. Siberians were bred to pull light loads at moderate speeds over long distances; Malamutes were bred to pull heavy loads over short distances -- therefore the Mal is a heavier-boned, slower, more powerful dog, and the Siberian is smaller and more athletic.

For a very good side-by-side comparison, check this link:

http://www.minnesotamalamuteclub.com/malvsibe.htm

Source(s): Handler of both Siberians and Malamutes for many years.

siberian husky: basically lighter and smaller than malamutes with a thinner fur coat. the tail is straight and bushy, like a wolf's or fox's

alaskan malamute: heavier and usually larger with thicker fur. the tail is curled like a pomeranian's (without all that puff:))

this is what i found out but there are alot more differences. both these breeds are nicknamed "huskies" and i personally like malamutes better. they're so cute!

malamutes grow to be a lot bigger in size than the huskies. in my opinion malamutes have a better nature but to each there own. i work at a vet clinic and that just what i see on a day to day basis.

keep in mind too that your handling and training comes hand in hand with their nature.

• Claude

what a coincidence! I had an alascan malamute once & everybody insisted that it was a husky. I would say that they have more charactoristics of a wolf than a husky & they look more thinner, like a jackal almost.

Technically, I cant give you facts, but this is what i have noticed.

Two different breeds-Research them to find out why they are different..Nothing the same about them..

• R & B

husky will bite you but malamutes generally wont

The one is from Siberia and the other is from Alaska, other than that no difference