juju asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 decade ago

How did chinese people and white people end up with the same last name "Lee"?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Lee is of Old English origin, and its meaning is "pasture or meadow." Place name. Surname frequently used in the American South as a given name in honor of Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

Lee is a very popular male first name, ranking 123 out of 1219 for males of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census. Lee is a very popular surname, ranking 24 out of 88799 for people of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census.

Lee has 2 variant forms: Lea and Leigh.

In Chinese

Meaning: glade, poet, plum

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Lee

http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Lee.html

• 1 decade ago

When immigrants came to the US in the early 1900's many of their original names were changed to more "American" names. This was more common among those who could pass for non-foreign such as Italians and Irish. But, Lee is not an uncommon last name in China anyway.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The surnames "black" and "white" are common english surnames. When the English came to America, they brought Africans to America to work as their slaves. These African slaves were given English first and last names (their master's last name); therefore, some of them would inevitably have the last name "white". Majority of African Americans never changed their given English surname so that is why you run into white people whose last name is "black" and blacks whose last name is "white". Also, my high school teacher is black with the surname "black".

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

it means meadow in english and in chinese-it has a different meaning-people chose names at one point -adam didnt have a last name-but do u know how long is a chinese name? its How Long-that is a real chinese name-david in Jesus amazing grace

Source(s): spike lee bruce lee
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't know.Interesting question.

But Lee is a very common last name in Chinese....o_O

Source(s): I have many Chinese friends who have the last name 'Lee'. =)
  • 1 decade ago

yes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i really dont no .... but hay im a lee.... and im white

• 1 decade ago

interacial marriges

• 1 decade ago

migration my dear

• 1 decade ago

pure coincidence...

duhhhh

Source(s): common sense
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.