can anyone tell me what's a bug in software engineering?

bug

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A bug is simply a discrepancy between an anticipated result and an actual result.

The presence of a bug warrants further action to resolve the anomalous behavior, which may emanate from a wide variety of sources.

Source(s): me.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Old story, I don't have the names, but one of the early computers fried while being used by the pioneers of software. The cause failure was an insect in the electronics. So, the name "bug" carried over to mean a line of code that prevents the expected results from a list of code.

• 1 decade ago

More appropriate is "fault" (an incorrect instruction or definition), "failure" (an incorrect result), or "mistake" (a human action leading to a failure).

"bug": a programming error that causes software to work poorly, produce incorrect results, or fail to function. (Notice that this is specific to "programming" and not design. This is where "defect" and "bug" may differ.)

"bug": any problem in the system that causes it to not meet its desired quality. (This is a QA-style definition where "quality" here is basically a measure of how well a product matches its intended purpose. That's not the best definition, but I hope it helps.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.