Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

i have a problem with my dog, can u help?

hes 2 months old, and every time u try to pet him, he snaps at ur hands and face. any ideas on how to break him from this habbit?

• Chetco
    Favorite Answer

Although your dog is a baby, it is never too soon to teach him that biting is wrong..Simply hold him with one hand, and close his mouth, gently with the other hand..and say, firmly, but quietly, "No, Bite"...When he allows petting without biting, reward his behavior with more attention, or treats..

Never hit your dog for any reason, and never yell...I never need to raise my voice or hit my dogs, and they are well behaved..

Source(s): dog breeder/trainer since 1968
  • moya

Actually that is pretty normal, but now would be a good time to start teaching him basic discipline. Discipline him by saying a deep stern voice "No" and then turn around and leave alone for a while. Do this everytime he does the whole snapping bit and he will learn that he is doing something unacceptable.Also now is also a good time to teach him basic obedience sut as sit, lie, stay and so on. Remember to be patient and keep at it.

I'm dealing with this problem also. I've been reading a book by Cesar Millan (The dog whisperer) called Cesar's Way. It has helped me understand my puppy and the way they think. Instead of raising my voice at her when she bites, I tell her to be nice while trying to pet her and when she starts licking instead of biting I tell her she is a good girl and let her have a treat. When she starts biting again, I take away the treat and tell her she needs to be a nice girl and she can have her treat. I've only been doing this since Sunday and she is catching on! Hope this helps.

although now domesticated dogs are essentially pack animals. they respect the leader of the pack so you must show your dominance. some easy ways to do this are: growl at the dog as it does this, preferably a deep gutteral growl.

take it by the scruff of neck and push head to the ground and hold for a few seconds when it tries to snap.

swipe lightly but in a stinging way across the nose with the tip of your fingers.

all these ideas mimmick the behaviour of a dominant pack dog.

I would find a good trainer so that this doesn't continue as your dog develops. This sounds like a little more than can be learned from a book or Yahoo answers.

Source(s): dog breeder since 1950

Hon~ he is still a puppy! You need to get him chew toys..Just like a baby he is braking in new teeth and wanting to play,,,No more..

Please show him good behavior reinforcement..Don't hit him

I would recommend you go to Leerburg.com. It answers every question you could possibly have regarding dogs.

Areyou sure he's not just playing? I was playing with a puppy yesterday that is about four or five months old and she was doing the same thing.

You need to show him who is the boss!

Have you tried to slap his nose when he starts to jump at your hand or face.

his nose is very sensitive place to start. slap his nose and shout at him no. praise him when he doesn't do it. i had the same problem with two of my 3 labs.