how does one repair a 38 foot aluminum mast that snapped cleanly in the middle from a sailboat.?

mast is 6061 T6

Favorite Answer

There are many masts that are actually 2 sections joined together with an internal sleeve and through-bolted. No amount of welding a joint in a mast can withstand the forces generated while sailing. Check with a rigger or company that manufactures masts.

http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-37.ht...

or google - sailboat mast

Your mast could be welded with a sleeve, but you would not be happy wondering if it would hold up if a big gust knocked you over. Make 2 19 foot masts or flag poles and get a new mast. Will insurance cover the mast? We saw one similar to what you describe in Solomon Island ,MD this past weekend. Winds at 60mph.

Source(s): sailor
  • Lloyd

If properly welded (read MIG or TIG), it should be fine. Don't listen to Douglas Z. A proper weld is stronger than the original material and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new mast.

This can be welded..6061 T6 is very weldable...Tig is best.... I would put a smaller tube inside too reinforce it,(make sure its a nice tight fit)... then proceed with the proper welding procedure, take it to a good professional welding shop.. they can weld it and you wont even be able to tell where it was welded if its finished off and polished ...I do a lot of welding....If it was mine I would weld it myself... Good Luck

Source(s): Im a Marine Tech.

It can be MIG or TIG welded back together. I'd recommend putting a plate or two across the weld to reinforce the weld area.

Any good welding shop can do this. There are also mobile welding services that could do this onsite.

• MrZ

I suppose you could waste your money trying to weld aluminum. It might work in small winds, for awhile.

Better off to just buy a new mast.

Sorry.

• Bushit

buy a new one,you`ll never be happy with the weld