Melody
Melody asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why does my cat lick herself so much?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Not having much other information to go on, it could be just the normal acto of cleaning herself or something else. Cats tend to clean themselves several times a day. My cats will get a drop of liquid on them and then lick away like it was mud. Other cats could have an irritation and are trying to soothe the area, but may be making it worse with constant friction and saliva. If you notice her concentrating on a specific area a lot, then take a look and see if you notice it being red or a loss of hair. If so, you may want to take her to the vet for fleas or a rash. Otherwise, be glad that your kitty enjoys being clean.

What is "so much"? Cats clean themselves by licking and spend some ridiculous portion of the day doing it. At least it's preferable to rolling on dead fish like dogs do.

If she is licking and biting one spot on herself, she may have what is called a hot spot, a bit of ringworm or other infection or an insect bite.

You can buy itch relief spray in pet stores but make sure the one you get is labeled safe for use on cats. Because the cat will be licking it off.

If the cat has gone so far as to lick/chew herself a bald patch, you need to go to the vet. The vet has stronger medicines that can help this. It's probably an allergy to something.

Cats are very clean animals. She is licking herself to stay clean. They may even do this to other cats, or you. This is why you don't have to regularly bath cats yourself.

I advise having all of them spayed/neutered. That "calms" down maximum social anxieties (anti-social activities) in a set of cats. i found a spay and neuter health facility in my section that does feral adult males and women human beings for a flat cost of $25 each and each - encompasses a distemper shot. I stay way out contained in the rustic and performance to stress about 30-35 miles to take them and p.c.. them up. additionally they loaned me 2 traps. I requested them if there have been the different clinics like that and they suggested there have been 2 or 3 - further away, so it really isn't any longer unusual for this service. it really is supported through a closer humane society health facility that costs common costs. I have had about 18 done thus far - there are extra. Edit: I remembered about "undertake a barn cat" classes (for ferals) that I have said. putting contained in the google search for effects because there are extremely some diverse ones (diverse states) and some different feral classes got here up contained in the outcomes too. it would help us help you to understand the state and county you stay in.

Do you mean at one particular spot on the body or all over her body?

One of my cats lick on 1 particular spot and it has caused all the fur to drop. Thus he has a bald patch :P My vet said that it's a hormonal thingie because he is spayed. He gave my cat a jab and it worked for awhile but he said it would have to be a lifetime treatment :(

If she likes all over her body, probably bored I guess.

Because she thinks her fur is dirty and she loves to be clean all the time, so she lick herself, like she clean herself you know, just natural^^

Because it's the way cats clean themselves. And cats like to be clean.

Maybe your cat has an itchy spot if she is licking in one spot alot.

Why does your cat lick herself so much? The answer is simple: hairballs.

Clearly your precious kitty is annoyed for some reason, and has decided to communicate her displeasure to you by ingesting as much of her own fur as possible so that she can then ACK-ACK-ACK-ULP-PLOP a nice, gooey furball on your favorite couch... or sweater... or bedspread.

My suggestion is threefold (1) apologize profusely to your kitty cat; (2) give her some tuna or another special treat; and (3) feed her some of that anti-hairball stuff that looks like gross brown toothpaste.

To err is human, to hack up a furball, feline.

Source(s): Years and years and years of being around cats and cats and cats. I know things about cats. Really. Meow. Purr. See?

Simple! It is the way cats clean themselves.