Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Is ADD/ADHD a bogus myth?

How come kids who are disciplined or spanked never have it?

Favorite Answer

i think it is a load of crap parents are useless these days no discipline psychologist's make up all these new disorders to make more money

I am answering on my husband's account. I am a child/adolescent psychiatric nurse and work with kids everyday who have ADD/ADHD. It is not a bogus myth, it is an overused and often misused diagnosis. The kids who really have it truly suffer because they cannot concentrate and it makes it difficult to succeed in life. The thing most of these kids want is just to be able to slow down but their minds are racing and then they get frustrated and blow up and it is a viscious cycle. And, unfortunately being spanked/disciplined or not does not have anything to do with it. I wish it did because then I could teach parents how to better handle their kids. I see kids who have parents that definitely don't use discipline and it feeds into it but I've also seen parents who use reasonable discipline all the way to parents who take it to the extreme, they all have kids that are sick. Obviously I see the most severe cases, but it is misused making it seem like a myth. Unfortunately a lot of kids are getting slapped with this label because they are kids, kids have a lot of energy and it's natural to have a mind jumping from one topic to the next at times but society has overused this diagnosis so that it seems that every child is slapped with this label.

• liza

God NO I have a nephew that was three months early and believe me he was disciplined spanked everything that can be done with out harm and he bounces off the walls. the child will not even sleep sometimes. I have a grown friend that was also born early and he can not control some of the things he does or even realize he is talking 90 words a minute. He has told me that at times he has a hard time concentrating on his job.

Source(s): Have lived with someone had to get out

you have got to be kidding, right? My husband was disciplined, beaten with a strap and guess what, still has ADD. My children were disciplined and sometimes spanked, and 2 out of 3 have ADD. So don't even go there.

No, it is not a myth. It is an actual disorder. Those kids that have been spanked or disciplined did not necessarily have these disorders.

no myth. i'm a teacher. at least one in every class. it doesn't have to do with how they are disciplined. it is how they process information. along with these kids are the ld kids, the autistic kids and the gifted kids. there are no more "regular" kids. there is no longer a black and white, but infinate shades of grey. that is why teachers have the hardest most underpaid job there is! and might i add, most of these kids could use some excercise.

Source(s): master of education

HAHA, oh **** you have obviously never met my family mate! my bro and step bro had incredibly severe ADHD, so bad that our lives were in danger! those two boys were heavily punished throughout their childhood, that didn't have any effect on their behaviour! ADD/ADHD is serious and it is a mental illness that needs to be treated! it has nothing to do with the parents!!! i advise doing some research on it before criticizing it!

Source(s): reality

no it would not be extra desirable for society if instructors helped childrens make this connection... any infant who doesnt get the relationship would desire to not additionally understand in regards to the non secular ideals that are being contradicted so it doesnt remember. ..all of them get it.. and maximum religions teach which you dont desire technology to instruct something its all in faith... so counting on how non secular each and every infant is he will the two have faith it or say technology is bogus.... yet they are going to probable nonetheless positioned the main appropriate solutions on a attempt (what the academics wanna pay attention)..

Its not a myth but it is overly diagnosed bad! Most kids they say have it just arent diciplined and just dont wanna mind! But they are a few that really do have it

i dont just know if it s a myth, but more study needs to be done, especially regarding overdiagnosis...one thing is for certain thus far: NO biological evidence is used to diagnose the disease...none...but we use drugs that manipulate the human biology to treat it...something to think about