My break warning light is on, what should I do?

I have a 2000 Honda Accord LX. My breaks seems to be working perfectly fine, but the break warning light is on. Now... I'm not too sure what that means. But I'm a little worried. Is there something that I can do? I'm really tight on money so I want to avoid taking it in to the shop. (But if I must I will) Can someone tell me the possible things that could be wrong and what I could possibly do? What it would cost and etc?

Thank you. =)

• Les
    Favorite Answer

It is fall of 2006 and you have a 2000 model car... given an average of 15,000 miles per year, you have about 90,000 miles on your Honda. Depending on your usage, you can expect brakes to give you anywhere from 50,000 miles to 80,000 miles without much ado but then after that... well, you need new brakes.

HOWEVER... Let's not jump the gun just yet... you should understand your brake system to fully acknowledge the needs of your brakes.

All four corners of your car have brake pads with wear indicators built into them... when the brake lining wears thin, the noise making wear indicators touch the rotors and squeal letting the driver know something is wrong. You make no claim to any squealing so let's assume your brake pad linings are still satisfactory.

Each time you step on the brake you send brake fluid down tubes to push pistons out which apply the brake pads to the rotors. As the pads wear, the pistons travel further and further out of their bores. That travel requires more and more brake fluid to accomodate so the brake master cylinder (in the engine compartment on the firewall in front of the driver) shows a lower and lower level. Hondas have a switch built into the reservoir cap on this master cylinder that activates the brake warning light on the dash when the level gets below a certain point.

Right now, with no other problems noted and no noise from the brakes, you only have a low level of brake fluid. Yes, you need to be smart and check that this isn't because of a leak somewhere but that generally shows up as an oily spot on the ground.

Go to any auto parts store and get yourself a can of brake fluid and fill the reservoir per your owner's manual. This will turn off your warning light and all will be well in the land. You must be aware though, your brake pads are wearing thin and it's time to consider scheduling a brake job. Before long but who really knows how long, the brakes will start to make noise telling you they need help and need it now.

Till then...

Good luck!

Hello there.

I have a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe LX, I had the same problem as you have. If you don't feel that there is a problem with your breaks, then you probably have a break fuid leakage. Just check your break fluid reservoir, if the level is under the maximum mark, you will get the warning light. Problem is, you might have to take your car to a shop. Break leakage is not a normal thing to happen, it is usually related to something going wrong with your break system. If you let it go unchecked, you might have some serious problems later on. Try this, fill up your break fluid (if it is needed), then after a couple weeks check it again. If you notice that the fluid is low, take your car to an auto shop.

Hope this helped!

Just to make sure there's no confusion....

The "brake lamp" light usually appears below where the doors/trunk indicator is at the bottom of the dashboard. If this light comes on, then that means one of your back lights are out. You can replace the light(s) yourself.

The "brake light" is at the top of the dashboard. When you engage your parking brake, it is the light that comes on. If your "brake light" is on and your parking brake is disengaged, then you have a problem. Your brake fluid level may be low; which means you could have a leak. It could also mean you have worn brake pads. It could also be the master cylinder needs replacing.

If your pads need replacing, make sure that a reputable brand are put on (i.e. Hawk, Raybestos, Brembo, Wagner).

A far-fetched possibility is a faulty circuit for the parking brake switch.

Whatever it is, you need to take your car to either a reputable mechanic or a Honda dealership ASAP.

As far as cost, it would depend on what needs to be fixed and where you take it. It should not be over $1000.

• alanna

Honda Accord Brake Light On

You should definitely have it checked out. Brakes aren't something you want to just dismiss.

However, if your brakes are actually fine, it could be your alternator going bad. When my alternator went bad I'd suddenly have my warning lights come on. It was usually my anti-lock brake light or traction light. Then about 2 months later, every single light came on at once, and my car died in the middle of the street.

Go get a diagnostic test done. They aren't that expensive. A bit of money is not that big of a deal if it means potentially saving yours and other people's lives.

Well, I'm no auto expert, but I would highly suggest taking it in to a reputable mechanic (you don't necessarily have to go to the Big Guys, but please don't go to some fly-by-night jack-leg who'll rip you off). It could be something as simple as a glitch in the electrical system making the light come on (false alarm; my mom's oil light does that on occasion) or it could be that you need brake fluid. At the very least, your brakes need to be inspected to rule out something major happening and a lot of places will do that for free. Good luck!

First, check the brakes fluids that may one reason. If not, you probably will need to take to the shop especially if you do not about mechanics. Be ready to spend some money.

That is actually a sensor telling you that your brakes are about to reach there safe limit. It is a switch that is activated by your brake pedal, when your self-adjusting brakes have worn down to a certain point this, slowly moves the brake pedal down at the same time and triggers the sensor switch. So in short, your brake pads are worn out and about to start grinding the rotors. Then no brakes.

Source(s): Been there, done that, several times. That and I'm old.

check your brake fluid level on the master cyclinder, if the level is low have your brakes inspected for wear or leaks in the brake system,, if its okay then the float sensor on the master cylinder reservoir cap might be defective, you need to replace the cap and the sensor

Pullover and get it fixed. It could be as simple as the emergency brake isn't all the way down to a complete failure of the system. Get it checked ASAP.