el
el asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Why do kamikazes wear helmets?

(I seriously would like to know, i'm not trying to be funny at all).

No, aenaea. I am not sure, that is why I am asking. When I have seen photos it looked like helmets, that's all.... Boy some people can make you feel sorry for being curious.

Favorite Answer

Actually, I don't think they did wear helmets, but rather a leather flight hat.. But that's just from the pictures I've seen.

I agree with Paladin. Those weren't helmets that they wore but feather lined caps to keep warm. I think pilots only started to wear helmets after jets were invented. Check with a military history buff to be sure.

The helmets had the radios in them. The pilots needed to be able to communicate. Also, the zeros didn't have heaters (left out to reduce weight) so they kept their heads warm.

• Apple

I've actually asked a lot of people this question before too and gotten nothing but laughs.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because there's a chance that something could happen before the pilot gets to his destination and they don't want him to be so badly injured that he can't be sent out again.

Thought Provoking

They wear the broken helmets that the living soldiers cannot use anymore.

It's an easy way to get rid of the trash. They also stock the plane with garbage and useless items.

Source(s): former kamikazee pilot

To keep their heads and ears warm when at altitude in the open cockpit, and to be able to hear their radios.

• x

Just in case they slip in the shower before heading to the crash.

Hey bluffMike, how's it going?

• Wolfie

For the same reason they have an expiration date on SOUR CREAM!!!!!!!! LOL

why, are you sure they wear helmets?