Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

is there an expiration on personal checks in US?

I found an old check someone wrote to me. Can I still cash it after 2 years ?

Favorite Answer

A check is stale dated after 6 months, unless it specifically says how long it is good for. Ex: Void after 120 days.

You won't be able to cash a check that is two years old. You should contact the maker and have it reissued.

Source(s): 7 years with a large national bank

Do Personal Checks Expire

Most personal checks become stale dated after 6 months, although it really depends on the financial institution to which the check is drawn on. There is no specific Federal Government policy that states this. If the teller accepts the old check, then it's the financial institution who will have to deal with the issue...and maybe you too, if the check is charged-back against your account.

Corporate (also know as bank) checks become stale dated as early as 90 days. Most of them have the words "void after xx days".

Have you tried to contact the person who issued the check to you? They may have placed a stop payment on it because it was outstanding for so long. The best thing to do is contact the issuer and obtain a new check from them. Don't forget to give them back the old check so it doesn't get negotiated accidently.

Good luck.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): expiration personal checks us: https://shortly.im/vgBhD

A personal check goes stale in 6 months, and it's automatically void.

Personal checks are only good for 6 months - after that they're stale-dated.

no it is what is called stale ithink 90 days

it is still a binding contract

call the issuer

or wait till it is like 2 days after the date like 9/28 try to cash it on 9/30 they may not look at the year but if you do it at your bank you may get it returened and mess up your account

Source(s): talked to a teller b4
  • kako

You are definitely out of luck. It will not be honored by any reputable bank.