Are you ever surprised when someone who you know as a straight person turns out to be gay or bi?

Let's say people you knew from school, or relatives, or close friends.

Favorite Answer

Sometimes yes, sometimes no...doesn't normally matter to me either way. Close friends...I would have known one way or another. Relatives....they can keep it to themselves..from school. I am sure 10 % were/are gay...no big deal to me. I have little curiosty about other's sexuality unless I am interested in them...and I do not shine on someone I don't think is gay.

• DEATH

Not really.

I actually ran into an old friend from high school back in 2000 during the MMOW (Millenium March On Washington).

He wasn't "out" in high school, but I always suspected he was gay. Immediately after high school he married his high school "Sweetheart."

That kind of threw everyone who knew him for a bit of a loop. We all suspected he was gay.

Well when I ran into him we both shared a huge hug and a laugh.

I told him his marriage made everyone wonder what was going on because we all "knew."

He just looked at me and asked, "Did YOU know?

Did YOU know you were gay? We did! "

We laughed, shared old memories and had a great weekend! We've stayed in contact ever since. He's one of my dearested friends now...just as he was a good friend in high school as well.

Well, sometimes I didn't suspect it. I was at a gaybar and I met a friend (an old classmate) and he said, I never thought you to come her too. He has a friend and my gaydar didn't picked it up. But often it isn't a surprise, cause I already new it.

I was by a high school stud-figure who popped up in a bar one night. He kept trying to hide from me -- little did he know that his date was one of my good friends. I played off the whole thing pretty well, I thought -- I talked to my friend several times and never once mentioned stud.

then next time I ran into my friend, I asked about stud -- who was, indeed, trying to hide from me and my friend didn't take that well at all and was pissed at stud. I was sympathetic while laughing on the inside.

• Dragon

I think I'd consider it a surprise if I found out that certain people were gay or bisexual. I'd be surprised, but not "shocked" -which is a term my mother sometimes uses (nothing really "shocks" me any more).

Of course it is surprising to find that out, specially in people that just don't fit the stereotype.

But it shouldn't be such a big deal.

I recently had the opposite. A guy who hangs out with our group of gays and lesbians at my church turns out to be straight! I find I admire him even more because of his openmindedness.

No, but I have a pretty good gaydar. I don't think I've ever been surprised really.

been there,my best friend in college was a guy,i never did suspected that he was a transsexual in making,it broke my heart,i was shock...coz another mate of mine a girl was deeply in love with him..or is it shim(she +him)..well that the way of life..

yes...especially because I worked with some of them for years and never picked up on it....and a cousin.......faulty gaydar..