It's strange that we still use sticks with sponges on the end to wet the mouth of sick or dieing people?

I am just amazed at the simularities between Jesus on the cross and us now in this technological Eutopia we still use simple things like what was offered to him.

Favorite Answer

I had never thought of it until you brought it up. But yes, it's true. My mother in law recently passed away and we used these to get water in her mouth. She was a Christian woman and kept the faith until the end knowing she would be in Heaven face to face with Jesus Christ, her/our Lord and Savior. She passed so peacefully!

To the person above that asked why they are on sticks ... The sticks with sponges on them are designed that way. It is because many times the person who cannot drink liquids mouths are shut and the sponges on the sticks allow you to push the sponge into the mouth and dab their tongue so they feel the refreshment of the liquid on their tongue. You can wet them and wipe the sponge end around the roof of their mouth, on the tongue, lips, etc. They are not only used for people who are passing away, but also used on people who are in the recovery room or ICU. You have such a dry mouth when you come out of surgery and want water really bad, however the anesthesia used in surgeries does not mix well with water and can make a person very nauseous, so the sponges are used to wet the mouth and lips.

THere is an old adage that applies well to this... 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

This delivery system works very well for people who are unable to take large amounts of food/fluids by mouth, as it allows the oral mucosa to be moisturized and some thirst releif to be given, while not letting smoeone choke. It is also good for epople who are going into or coming out of surgery because they can not have anything in theor stomachs due to the anaesthesia.

No not really. They say the dying can still sense things so dont you think they might know if their mouth is dry and just cant communicate it to you?? That would be an awful feeling, a dry mouth and feeling miserable from dying... Sad huh??

This was done to my father-in-law as he was dying last year. The stick really helps. I can't think of a better way to do it, so I don't understand the question.

You should probably find a more modern medical facility.

I've seen the sponges, but not the sticks....why exactly would they be on sticks?

Why is it strange? What would you suggest be used as those work well?

You are correct that this is used. If you have a better idea, get it patented. You'll be rich.

We do?

strange????? not!!!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?