How many times have you broken a promise you made to yourself? and why?

I know I've done it.

Favorite Answer

Many times, too many to count. My reasons were simple, because I was the only one that held any accountability of my actions. It's easier to disappoint ourselves than it is to disappoint others. I guess if I had to answer up to someone else, who's admiration and expectactions of me mattered, then I would be more subjected to follow thru with my promise.

Watching over one's self, and their own/individual actions takes discipline, and strength. If their is no accountability, we offer ourselves excuses, or reasoning for not following through with our own personal commitments.

I'm guilty of it, and I certainly am aware that I do this. I just try to forgive myself, and try again. I'm human, I try to learn and grow, and do the best I can each day, and not be so hard on myself.

Interesting question and refreshing inquiry on the social habits of people. I enjoyed answering, and wish you well. Should be interesting reading the responses.

Many times in the past !

Just because of lack of wisdom, knowledge and even information about what it takes to keep up the promise to oneself !

All the time, I guess I never intended to keep the promises in the first place.

well, it is said that promises are made to be broken. that's why i don't like keeping them. I will say something like i will work on it but people are human right. mostly like if i do make a promise i have to keep it because my word is my word but if i know i couldn't keep my word i wouldn't say anything.

• small

Indeed several times.

And of course several reasons.

For instance

change of situation since I made the promise

didn't fully realise implications of my promise

my promise crossed a loved one's needs

However, the most important factor seems to be that one is not answerable to anyone else for such promises made to oneself.

I've lost track of how many times. Because I have no will power when it comes to food.

I do it every day as I promised myself a long time ago to quit smoking.

Years later, I am still smoking......uggh!

I used to promise myself I'd stop masturbating like every day. Now I've come to accept it.

many many times... why? i guess i'm not ready to do what i promise myself... as simple as that...

i want to give up smoking, this is the last one i'm gonna have... SURE... !

mcdonals? this is the last time i eat this!! SURE!

next monday I'm going on a diet... SURE!

I do it all the time because I'm a jerk.