JC asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Does anyone have a Puggle for a pet?

My boyfriend and I are looking into getting a Puggle puppy... Any comments/advice? Thx!

Favorite Answer

Puggles are notorious for having health problems. Puggles are susceptable to MORE genetic defects than puggles for two reasons - 1) they are subject to both the Pug problems AND the Beagle problems and 2) they are bred by unethical 'breeders' who do not do any genetic testing on their pet quality dogs. Do not believe the 'hybrid vigor' hype that they try and sell you - it's completely untrue. Find a REPUTABLE pug breeder and get a good quality pet. When you BUY a puppy you are PAYing for peace of mind. What I mean by that is you are actually paying for the knowledge that your dog is going to look and act a certain way and also that he (and his mother) have been given the best possible care to ensure that your pup will be healthy. If you just want a puppy you can get them for free/cheap at a shelter. If you want peace of mind you go to a reputable breeder. And you never pay for a mutt.

Check out http://www.pugs.org - it's the webpage for the Pug Dog Club of America. You can research reputable breeders in your area or find a local pug rescue in your area there. They also have a section dedicated to puggles if you want to know some of the health problems they suffer from.

Puggles make great pets! The Pug and Beagle are both great dogs with few flaws. The Puggle combines all those great qualities into a often healthier (yes that’s correct) cross breed. If you are familiar with Biology and genetic makeup you will understand that the more diverse your genes are the better chances you have of only getting one “bad” gene. This is why dogs that are inbred have extensive health problems. The parent’s genetic makeup is so similar that it often results in very specific health conditions.

Just because a Puggle has adopted the title “Designer Dog” doesn’t make it any different than other cross breeds. It just happens to be a very popular one that is likely to become an AKC recognized dog the same way that many other mixed breeds have done. Ex.(Golden Retriever – Created by crossing yellow-coloured dog with a Tweed Water Spaniel). So for those who argue that you are buying into a scam or fad, I would point to these facts and tell them to talk to you in 10 years when the AKC has recognized various new breeds that have been created in this fashion.

Be sure to buy from a reputable breeder who has the parents on site and can backup their breeding claims with historical paperwork and awards.

Good Luck and take a look at my website listed in the Sources for additional information on the Puggle.

They are cute but I'm not paying a pile of money for a mutt when the shelters and rescue groups are full of mixed beagles and pugs dying(literly)for homes.I thing these designer dogs are a big rip off and some poor pooches in puppy mills are paying dearly for it...Sorry thats my honest opinion.I dont mean to offend but thats how I see it.

Source(s): Vet Tech

If you want a mix breed dog, go to a shelter. It's silly to pay alot of money for something that's not even worth it. What I mean is, it's one thing to pay a lot of money for a dog that is intended for show. But to pay more than $70 (average adoption fee) for a pet is ridiculous. There are millions of dogs dying each year, because they are a mixed breed an nobody wants them. Please go adopt, you'll be saving a life.

as a pug lover and past owner (god rest her soul) your taking two dogs breeds and making one before you know there will longer be any pure bred dogs ,, now if you want a good puppy get yourself a pug pup

My cousin has one. They are very cute. I know it took her 3 years to get hers.

***WHY*** would anybody ADMIT that they got SCAMMED into PAYING MONEY for the *UGLIEST*,most disgusting*MUTT/MONGREL* that's ONLY being made by CROOKS to SCAM/CON/RIP-OFF THE IGNORANT???

WISE UP!!!