Whenever I start my computer, it takes about a minute for my icons to show on my desktop? Why?

I get the background and the taskbar just fine but the icons take a littel longer. I used to have an anti-virus but it made my computer super slow so I uninstalled it and then I was left with this minor problem.

Favorite Answer

Sounds like you just have too much stuff installed. Get a registry cleaner and check out Norton Utilities.

• pappy

You don't say what brand of computer or the operating system so it is hard to answer.

General cause is too many items in the start up.

You can check this by looking at how many icons are around the clock (shouldn't be many)

-or-

Start / Run / type: Msconfig / Enter / clk on StartUP tab. The boxes with an X in them are starting when you boot up. If you see programs you don't need at start up, you can UNcheck the boxes and reboot . The stuff you UNchecked will have to be started manually if you want the program to run. (bring shortcuts to the desktop)

Apparently, your computer is processing a long list of registry items. If your computer is older (less than 1 GHz processing speed) and if it hasn't been thoroughly cleaned up (by reinstalling the operating system from scratch), then it comes as no surprise. Windows gets crapped up over time. I usually reinstall everything on my PC once per year, or so.

How much stuff are you botting up in the startup menu on that consecutive processing system?

you need to run a con-current processing system, like Mac does, but, on your PC platform... Something that runs 50X faster, like what Microsoft runs on Microsoft.com, Hotmail.com, MSN.com, the servers and lab systems, routers and business operations machines at the Redmond Campus... about 45,000 Linux computers.

You cna have the FREE LiveCDrom, http://pclinuxos.com

maybe you have installed too much programs on your computer.. and also you need to upgrade your computer...

Try defraging this puppy.

have you tried disk cleanup lately or perhaps defra?????????????